Chapter Forty-Six | Karkaroff and the Lion

Normally at the end of the summer holidays, Harry and Ariana would've been training hard for the final Quidditch match of the season, but instead, they were preparing for the third task. Well, they would of been if they knew what the hell the third task was. Thankfully, Professor McGonagall held themn back at the end of a Transfiguration class at the end of May.

"Potter, O'Connor, you are to go down to the Quidditch field tonight at nine o'clock," she told him. "Professor Dumbledore will be there to tell the champions about the third task."

At half past eight that night, the pair left Hermione and Ron in Gryffindor Tower to make their way down to the Quidditch pitch. Ariana did wish that she was going to actually play a match, but obviously that wasn't going to happen.

On the way towards the entrance hall, the pair encountered Cedric, having come up from the Hufflepuff common room.

"What d'you reckon it's going to be?" he asked Ariana and Harry as they went together down the stone steps, out into the cloudy night. "Fleur keeps going on about underground tunnels; she reckons we've got to find treasure."

"That wouldn't be too bad," said Harry, thinking that he would simply ask Hagrid for a niffler (a creature who was attracted to 'shiny things' and used in mines, which they had studied in Hagrid's class) to do the job for him.

"Judging by the previous tasks, I have no idea," Ariana added, seriously concerned about how lethal the final task would be.

They walked down the dark lawn to the Quidditch stadium, locating Dumbledore and the other champions standing at the far end. When Fleur saw Harry and Ariana, she beamed at them, her attitude having taken a dramatic turn since they rescued her sister. Ariana returned her smile; she had taken a small liking to the blonde, although she wasn't a massive fan.

The Headmaster instructed them to follow him further down the grounds. They arrived at a huge section of the grounds that had been smooth the last time Ariana saw it, now, however, it looked like it was covered in long, low walls that twisted in all directions.

"I suppose you can guess what is being grown here?" Dumbledore said, motioning to the hedges growing behind him.

"Maze," Krum stated, his voice low and gravely.

"Precisely, Mr. Krum," Dumbledore said. "Come next month, Hagrid will have these hedges twenty foot high. The third task is quite  straightforward. The Triwizard Cup will be placed in the center of the maze. The first champion to touch it will receive full marks."

"We seemply 'ave to get through the maze?" Fleur questioned, peering at the maze with baby blue eyes.

"Yes, but there will be obstacles," said Dumbledore. "Hagrid is providing a number of creatures... there will also be spells that must be broken. Now, the champions who are leading on points will get a head start into the maze." He tilted his head at the three Hogwarts students standing together. "Then Mr. Krum will enter... proceeded by Miss. Delacour. I ensure you will all be in with a fighting chance, depending how well you get past the obstacles."

Ariana knew only too well the kind of creatures Hagrid would supply. Most things other people found terrifying and dangerous, Hagrid found positively cute. She and Harry were clearly thinking along the same lines, since they gave each other a 'oh-no' look.

Despite their feelings of concern, they nodded politely at Dumbledore along with the other champions.

"Very well... if you haven't got any questions, we'll go back up to the castle, shall we, it's a bit chilly...."

The group began to head back to their respective dwellings, Fleur and Krum returning to the blue carriage beside Hagrid's cabin and the impressive ship rocking gently in the Black Lake respectively. Although, Ariana saw Krum and Harry walk off towards the forest.