Chapter Twenty-Nine | Lessons

Saturday evening soon ticked around. Ariana left the common room, after being wished luck and given tips to avoid murdering Snape by Harry and Ron.

As Ariana made it down from the seventh floor to the Dungeons, she felt quite confident. A niggling feeling of nervousness twinged in the depths of her stomach as well, probably due to the fact that she didn't know what to expect.

Ariana liked to know as much as she possibly could; it allowed her to make an educated decision. This time, however, she knew very little of what was about to happen.

Not far from the wall that concealed the Slytherin common room was Snape's office, shielded by a heavy wooden door, which was locked with magic whenever he wasn't inside.

Ariana held her head high and knocked on the door, staring at the dark wood in front of her face until it opened to reveal a man who looked as is he would rather be anywhere else.

"Sit down, Miss. O'Connor," Snape ordered, peering at her though his black hair.

Ariana done as she was told and sat herself down on a wooden chair at one end of the office, surrounded by potions on shelves. A window was in the wall behind her, the rock outside having been carved away to allow light into the dungeons.

"This may not be an ordinary class," he said, standing in front of his desk, "but I am still your teacher and you will therefore call me 'sir' or 'Professor' at all times."

"Yes... Professor," Ariana replied, not showing any sign of discomfort.

"Now, we will begin with Occlumency. I trust you know what that is." Ariana nodded. "Very well. During these lessons, I will attempt to penetrate your mind, and you will attempt to prevent me from doing so."

Ariana's stomach felt like a boulder had just been dropped through it. He was going to worm his way inside her mind? She has memories and information she'd like to keep to herself.

"Yes, Professor."

"Stand up and take put your wand."

Ariana stood up and withdrew her wand from the waistband of her jeans, her right hand clenching around it. She watched every small movement Snape made, apprehension filling every molecule of her body.

"You may use your wand to attempt to disarm me, or defend yourself in any other way you can think of," said Snape, withdrawing his own ebony wand from his robes.

"And what, may I ask, are you going to do?" Ariana questioned.

"I am about to attempt to break into your mind," Snape said softly. "We are going to see how well you resist. I have been told that you are able to resist the Imperious Curse. You will find that similar powers are needed for this... brace yourself. Legilimens!"

Before Ariana had any time to prepare, the office in front of her faded like a mist, swirling into a different scene.

Ariana was five years old, huddled under a blanket with her brother, terrified of the two people down the hall.

She was nine years old, screaming and wailing as her brother was beat to death. Tears streamed down her face and fire burst around her in the form of a lion.

She was eleven years old, sitting underneath the Sorting Hat as is told her that she was the Heir of Godric Gryffindor.

She was thirteen years old, fighting off hundreds of Dementors with a powerful Patronus...

Ariana had enough. These were her memories and hers alone. She managed to force the intruder out of her head with great amounts of concentration and energy.