Part IV: Peony

(italics) past memory

(Namjoon POV)

The moon was shining brightly through the kitchen window, illuminating the small room in silver light. I guess the lightbulb in the lamp I had turned on went out. I was so busy thinking, I didn't realize. It was fine by me, I preferred the silver moonlight anyways. It was cold, like the rest of the world. I leaned against the counter, my eyes watching a tiny spider climbing its way down from the ceiling. The moonlight reflected off a tiny thread of the spiders' web, it caught my attention and there I stood, staring at that little web.

It had been 3 months since Seokjin and I had started to officially date. Since that first kiss in the flower shop, things only got better. Jin confessed his love for me as we walked to the bus stop after work one day. I had kissed him passionately that day, it was the beginning of forever...Today, 3 months later, I had invited Jin over to my apartment for dinner. I wasn't good at cooking, but for him, I would try anything. I hurried home from work and quickly tidied up my small home before heading out to the convenience store down the street. It was raining today, but the thought that Seokjin would be with me in only a few hours made me happy. Even the rain couldn't ruin my mood.

I walked into the store and shook out my hair, small droplets of water landing around me. With a smile, I greeted a few of the employees before picking up a shopping basket and making my way down the nearest aisle. Jin mentioned he liked noodles, those were simple enough to make right? I picked up a package of noodles and placed them in my basket, moving on to the toppings. Fish cake, green onions, maybe some beef? I hoped it was alright, I was really bad at this. I moved to the next aisle and picked up a few more ingredients, soon moving over to the desserts. Jin liked chocolate, and I liked strawberry...so luckily, I found the perfect cake. Small, round. It was a chocolate cake topped with strawberries. And it was fairly cheap. In my basket it went.

Once I paid for my items, I walked back home and set everything in the kitchen. I checked my watch, panic setting in. It was already 5pm, Jin would be here at 6! I became a whirlwind then, boiling water, chopping, and setting up all at once. Despite being focused preparing food, the flowers on the counter distracted me. I had brought home a bouquet of daisies  from the shop earlier, of course, hidden from Jin. But, I had forgotten to put them in water, and now they were wilting...

I sprinted hurriedly to my room, rummaging through my nightstand until I found a vase. It was dusty, but there was no time for a wash. I ran back to the kitchen, filled the vase with water and stuck the daisies inside. I wiped sweat from my forehead with the back of my hand, hoping I'd have enough time to...

And that's when I heard the doorbell. I glanced at the clock, it was 6 o'clock. And that had to be Seokjin at the door. I squealed, out of both excitement and panic. Nothing was ready! Alas, that man standing behind the door was my first priority. I inhaled, then exhaled, calming my nerves and trying to ease my pounding heart. With a final sigh, I walked to the door and opened it, and there he stood.

Seokjin wore a light blue button up shirt, his sleeves rolled up to his elbows. His legs were long and slender in the black slacks on his lower half. He looked almost too beautiful to be true. He smiled his radiant smile, "Hey you," He said lovingly, "Why does it smell like something's burning in here?"

I was admiring him when I realized it did smell horrid, like burnt food...

I left him at the door and ran to the kitchen, shutting off the stove and groaning in frustration. There sat my noodles, burnt to a crisp. I could hear Seokjin laughing behind me, he had a unique laugh. That kind of laugh that makes you want to join. I could hear as he shut the door behind him and walked towards the kitchen. And then his strong arms were wrapped around my waist, his chin resting on my shoulder as he giggled and spoke. His voice was so close to my ear, it sent shivers down my spine.