17. A Fool's Confessiom

~Chapter Seventeen – A fool’s confession~

I was already prepared to feel like a celebrity once I entered school gates. It was no big deal. Luke was by my side. With him at my side, I was actually feeling like a celebrity. No, it was more walk of shame. Embarrassment was clear on my features.

“Hey Ash, those girls are looking at me.” He poked my arm with his index finger. I wanted to break that finger.

“I don’t talk to strangers.” I muttered and walked faster. He caught up to me easily.

“That’s how you treat your friends?! I’m offended.”

“What friend? I don’t know you.”

The reason why I didn’t know him was because of his dress up. He was dressed in a tuxedo. No doubt, he looked good in it. But to wear it on a normal school day was quite abnormal. He exceptionally stood out. And since I was with him, I stood out too.

My eyes fell on Gracie who was standing at the entrance of the building. Her eyes were fixed on Luke who hadn’t noticed her by then. He was too busy complaining to me. The admiration in her eyes didn’t go unnoticed by me. I’m not aware of the true status of their relationship but I doubt it’s strictly limited to friendship only.

I immediately walked to her with Luke. She suddenly removed her gaze from Luke and smiled awkwardly at me. I could only return an awkward smile to that one.

“Good morning Ash,” Gracie greeted me and I greeted her back. She openly ignored Luke.

“How are you?” She asked me.

“Uh, fine.” I answered with a frown. That was an unexpected question. She looked kind of shaken.

“I’ve been waiting for you. Girl, you have to tell me about the party.” I knew that was coming. She had gone to another party at her relatives’ in the weekend so she was unable to contact me.

Luke cleared his throat and I looked at him. But his eyes were on Gracie who didn’t make any movement. She didn’t seem to hear him.

“That was nice. I’ll tell you about it later.” I told her, turning back to our conversation.

I knew they were going to ask me questions about it. And I had planned to answer positively. There’s no way I will spill all the details. It would be embarrassing to tell them how I was jealous and how a random guy hit on me and how I got drunk. Not after that beautiful picture was on the internet.

Luke cleared his throat again. I was ignoring him because I was displeased with the way he was dressed on a school day for no reason. But Gracie seemed to have completely other reasons. I didn’t miss when she tried to steal a look at him from the corner of her eye.

“Gracie!” Someone called out her name.

She turned to look at the girl. “I’m coming! I’ll talk to you later!” With that, she left.

Luke’s face fell as he watched Gracie leave. Although my intention was to ignore him as long as he was dressed like that, I couldn’t just leave him with that look on his face.

“What happened between you too?” I mumbled.

“Oh Ash!” Luke suddenly hugged me. My left arm was touching his front. It was not one of those intimate hugs. I was glad since it won’t give rise to another gossip. I don’t want that. Not currently, when everyone most probably believes my boyfriend is Blade.

“Let’s talk somewhere else.” I said. Since his forehead was on my shoulder, Luke couldn’t see it. But I didn’t miss Gracie looking at us as she left. The expressions on her eyes were kind of complex. She looked… angry?