Part 36: The Elf, Doom, and Temper

~Kako~

"After I put my key in, you put your's in. Don't let go of it till we get through the portal and into the barrier space. Seriously, don't let go. After that, I'll take the reins." Sparrow nodded as she finished, as if it was simple. I pulled the neck chain off my head and into my hand. The metal feels cold in my palm.

We were all inside waiting for Sparrow, who insisted on checking everything again. I could tell she was exceptionally nervous about leaving. She was hiding it well though. Cora was sitting criss cross on the floor, holding our supplies in her lap. I stood patiently next to a keyhole, though it won't take long to get me annoyed if our elf friend insists on another check.

"Is everyone sure we didn't forget anything-" Sparrow started, fumbling her key in her hand.

I groan, "We should leave. Now."

Sparrow shot me the stink-eye, but nodded. She pulled her own necklace off and inserted it into a keyhole in front of her. I waited a minute, then pushed my key into its hole. Like instructed, I didn't let go once it was in.

At first nothing happened. I wondered if something was wrong.

Then chariot flared to life. Similar to Cora's transportation truck, it rumbled and shook. The whole thing shone brightly with a pale light. The Shadow Mare stomped the ground and jumped in excitement.

Sparrow took the reins in one hand and yelled out, "Gee! Gee!"

The dark horse reared and thundered fourward. The chariot jerked under the sudden pull. I noted the smoothness of the ride over the grassy land, even with the bumps.

We raced over the land. Cora, who was poking her head up over the side to watch, laughed and held her hands out to catch the wind. Sparrow had a big smile on her face.

"Hold on to something everyone!" Sparrow called over the wind. I didn't need to be told twice, I gripped the side with my free hand. Cora wrapped her arms around the closest thing, which, hilariously, happened to be Sparrow's left leg. Sparrow glanced down before rolling her eyes and turning back to the path.

Well, at least she's holding on to something.

Sparrow called out gee again. We were going faster and faster. Thank the Gods this was the country side. So far, there was nothing but flat land and grass. But up ahead, there were some trees. We needed to speed up, or we won't get through the barrier.

Sparrow seemed to realize this too. "Gee, Flame! Gee!" She called out, her voice high pitched and panicky.

The trees were getting closer and closer. The mare whined and pushed for more speed.

Then ZAP!

Sudden quiet, like something gentle and soothing wrapped around you in a giant blanket.

Sparrow let out a sigh. "We made it just in time."

We were in the World's barrier.

~Cora~

This is so cool!

We were in a bright, colorful void. The space above and below, everything really, was decorated with lights and colors blending together in streaks, like the northern lights or car lights that pass at night. We were in a tunnel looking thing, kind of like the beginning scene from Doctor Who. I was getting the urge to sing the theme song.

"Ok, we made it." Sparrow mumbled a second time. She let go of the key and took the reins with both hands. "You can rest easy, Kako. We have twenty minutes before we break through to the Middle-World. Figure out where to go next... I can take it from here." Her voice shook.