Ch. 25

Lana slowly opened her eyes, feeling no pain at all. She groaned and rolled her head to the side. Happy sat in a chair against the wall looking pissed. She looked at him for a moment, not knowing what to say to him. She was still mad at him.

The last person she needed to see at the moment was also in the room. Sean was on the other side of the bed messing with one of the machines she was hooked up to. Of course she’d end up with him as her nurse.

“Oh fuck.” She groaned, covering her face with her hand when she saw him. Clearly Happy didn’t know, or at least wasn’t sure, this was who she’d fucked or he would’ve already put a bullet through his forehead.

“Hey Lana. How are you feelin?” He asked.

“Considering my life over the last month, there are too many possible answers to that question. Physically, I’m numb from the waist down.” She answered, not moving her hand from her face.

“That would be the epidural you were given for surgery. Dr. Knowles wanted to speak with you as soon as you woke up. I’m gonna go get her.” Sean said, the awkwardness of the situation only increasing by the minute.

Lana paled as he left the room, taking a guess at what Tara would want to talk to her about. Happy narrowed his eyes when he saw Lana’s widen.

“What?” He snapped.

She was silent for a minute, not wanting to answer. She hadn’t told him yet.

“Nothing.” She said.

A few minutes later Tara came into the room.

“Can you give us a minute?” Lana asked Happy.

He shook his head. “I’m not going anywhere.”

“Hap, please.” She pleaded.

He was silent, refusing to move. He just sat there with his arms crossed, staring at her.

Lana sighed, knowing it was pointless. Then she looked at Tara.

“How do you feel Lana?” Tara asked sympathetically.

“Fine I guess. I-“

Tara put her hand up to silence her when she sensed the urgency in Lana’s voice. “I just wanted to fill you in on everything. First of all, I wanna tell you not to worry. Gemma told me and Lyla a few days ago, you know she can’t keep her mouth shut.” She said with a small laugh.

“Told you what?” Happy growled.

Lana avoided looking at him and Tara ignored him as she continued. “You’re not pregnant Lana. You never were. I had them test you as soon as you were brought in. It was negative. The one you did at home must have been a false positive. It’s rare, but it does happen.”

Happy froze, wondering if he was hearing correctly as the words sank in.

Tara hesitated before continuing, worrying her lower lip and lowering her eyes. “You were brought straight to surgery last night. The bullet fragment hit the top of your pelvis and shattered in your abdomen. Luckily it missed any vital organs, but we did have to completely remove one of your ovaries.” She continued nervously. “I don’t know how much you were looking forward to having a baby, but … it’s highly unlikely you will ever conceive and on the off chance you did, it’s even more unlikely you would be able to carry to term. A fragment of the bullet tore into your uterus and once it’s healed, there will be a significant amount of scar tissue.” She let the information soak in for a minute, then continued. “You’ll be in ICU for a couple days, but you’re gonna be fine. I’m sure you guys have some stuff to talk about so I’ll give you some time.” She said quickly, before grabbing Lana’s hand in a sympathetic squeeze and leaving.