Chapter 1

Everything was black. The only thing he could perceive was a minor headache and the constant sounding of a strong heartbeat. Still being only half-conscious, Hiccup didn't know what had happened nor how long he had been asleep for. With the familiar heartbeat and thick legs curled around him, he unconsciously knew that he was safe and thus was not in a hurry to fully wake up. He quickly slipped back into a deep sleep.

The last remnants of the headache were completely gone when Hiccup finally came to. The darkness still surrounded him, but this darkness was one that he welcomed happily. He could have laid there contently for an eternity, but that would have been impractical, and his stomach was screaming for food. When was the last time he ate?

Cold air hit Hiccup's skin and the complete darkness around him turned into slightly lesser darkness as Toothless moved his wing aside. It was already, or still, dark outside. The sun had been high last he remembered, but now it was the early morning. Toothless of course knew how long he had been asleep. Hiccup turned his head up to meet the worried gaze from a pair of large green eyes.

'Are you feeling better, brother?'

'Yeah, a lot better. Wait... what do you mean by 'brother'?'

'Yes, I was thinking that-that it sounded right, but if you don't like it...'

'No, you're right. It sounds right. 'Friend' never felt good enough. I'd love to have a big brother.' Hiccup placed his hand on Toothless' snout. 'Brother.'

The moment lasted for few seconds until Toothless' tongue appeared. 'I have to make sure that any dragons you meet know you're my brother.' Hiccup didn't complain. He had already gotten used to being licked. He didn't mind if other dragons could tell from his scent that he was the brother of the Night Fury.

'So, what happened while I was out? Is everyone okay?'

'Only you would be worried for others after fainting in mid-air. We almost crashed.'

'But obliviously we didn't.'

'Thanks to you. I don't understand how you did it. I can't imagine someone giving away control like that.'

'What do you mean?' Hiccup halted as memories from them both came back to him. 'Oh, I'm not sure. I guess I tried to pull that part of my mind closer to yours. It wasn't that far from what we were already doing while flying together. I already control the tailfin based on what you intend to do.'

'You literally let me control part of your body like my own.'

'Is that so far away from what I do every time we fly?'

'...'

Hiccup smiled to his silent brother and brought one of his hands to the scaled leg on his chest.

'Do you mind, if I get up?'

'...Maybe. Are you sure you've rested enough?' Toothless tightened his hold on Hiccup minutely.

'I'm fine Toothless.'

The dragon slowly let go of Hiccup, who crawled to the edge of the wing under him. He sat down on the grass, looking around them. Toothless folded his wings and settled next to him. It was still quite dark; the only sign of the approaching morning was an almost indistinguishably lighter colour of the sky near the horizon. Hiccup silently counted the dragons scattered around the clearing that Toothless had landed on. Sharpshot had slept somewhere near Toothless and by now had moved to Hiccup, instantly falling back asleep, curled up on his lap. Hookfang had settled only a few meters away with Barf and Belch a few meters from him. Stormfly and Shortclaw were sleeping further away.