Chapter 8

Even with Fishlegs' help, the drop was quite long for Hiccup. He tried to roll to dampen the impact. He didn't have time to worry about scratches from the rough stone floor; Toothless would do that for him later. Hiccup got back to his feet in seconds. There was a change in the tone of the shouts around the arena: The audience had noticed him. Shortclaw hadn't. She had pinned Hakon on the ground with her claws. Hiccup reached towards her with his thoughts, but he still had to consider the people around them.

'Shortclaw!' As Hiccup called for the dragon he also whistled as loudly as he could. The timing worked well. Shortclaw turned her head just enough to see Hiccup approaching with one eye. He had her attention. 'Don't hurt him anymore. If you do they will make sure you die.'

'Do you think they wouldn't anyway?'

'Not if I can do something about it. It may look unlikely, but you still have a better chance to survive if you don't kill him. You've already beaten him anyway!' Hiccup was now only few meters away. He held his hand up, walking slower, trying to look careful in front of the dragon even as he turned his head away. He didn't want to show people too much too quickly.

'Fine, I have nothing to lose, but I'm still not going to die without taking someone with me.' Shortclaw answered as she met Hiccup's hand. Hiccup started stepping to the side, leading her away from Hakon. The young man was still on the ground. His face had changed from the tight rage of battle to wide-eyed disbelief. The audience was completely silent. Hiccup was seemingly controlling the fearsome dragon that had just completely humiliated and nearly killed the chief's son, supposedly a fierce warrior. Hiccup didn't even carry a weapon. When they were far enough from Hakon, Hiccup stopped and turned to face the chief above. He never lifted his hand from Shortclaw's snout next to him.

It was the moment of truth.

"Your son has failed chief. He doesn't understand dragons, how to fight them..." Hiccup paused for a second and waved at Shortclaw with his free arm, "and especially not how to not need to fight."

The only sounds that could be heard after Hiccup's declaration were Hakon's pained breaths as he pushed himself up from the arena floor behind him.

'Please keep an eye on him,' Hiccup asked if Shortclaw. 'I'll deal with his father.'

'You don't need to tell me that. Just get us out of here.'

'That might take some time. Try to be patient. The calmer you are the easier this will be.' Hiccup focused his attention back to the chief, who stood up and stepped up to the railing. His voice could be heard across the entire arena, without even shouting.

"And who might you be?"

"Just a visitor from the north. I heard of this battle while I was trading. I must say it was disappointing to see that people here consider qualities of a chief as narrowly as tribes up north, and the fight..." Hiccup sensed an approaching danger through Shortclaw and lifted his hand. The dragon got the message and spat a bundle of liquid fire on the fallen axe that Hakon was reaching for. Hiccup whistled a second time before Shortclaw turned back to face him. He placed his hand on her snout again. The dragon snorted.

'How long do we have to do this?'

'Be patient.' Hiccup assured. 'I have to show people that I'm doing something. I don't think they are ready to learn that I can talk to you like this.'

The incident had forced the chief's attention to his son for a moment.

"Withhold from fighting for now son. I want to learn more of this boy before deciding his fate."