Chapter 6

"We have to help her."

"What do you mean?" Fishlegs walked up to Hiccup, yawning as soon as he finished talking. Meatlug alongside Barf and Belch followed closely behind him.

"Shortclaw might still be alive," Hiccup said. "She got hit by an arrow with that poison, but Stormfly thinks she might have been taken alive on some ship. That means we can still save her."

"Wait. Something doesn't seem right. Why would anyone take a living dragon on their ship?"

"I don't know. I just hope they did. Their poison doesn't seem to be lethal, so at least there is a chance. We should go as soon as Stormfly and Hookfang are well enough to fly. I don't want to leave with them like this."

'What makes you think that I'm going to let you go somewhere that could end in battle?'

Hiccup turned to face his dragon brother.

'Toothless, we have to help her.'

'She chose to leave and accept the consequences. Alpha should protect the flock, but you aren't a fighter and there is no reason for you to endanger yourself for someone who already abandoned you.'

'I won't accept that. It is wrong to abandon her.'

'But you are risking your own life! We don't know what is going to happen if we seek out that ship.'

'Just as I didn't know what would happen when I confronted and helped the most feared dragon on Berk,' Hiccup said, kneeling in front of Toothless to face the dragon's eyes. 'As far as I knew, that could have been a practical suicide, but I did it anyway, because I thought that it was the right thing to do... to help you.'

Hiccup's thoughts left the dragon silent, staring at him without even a thought reaching out.

'We shouldn't be afraid to do the things we should do just because it might be dangerous. We'll manage it together.'

'True words of an alpha.'

"Hookfang?" Hiccup had to turn his head to face the other dragon that was now waking up. Toothless instantly tensed up next to him. Fishlegs' eyes were darting between the two dragons. 'How are you feeling?'

'I'm not certain. What happened?'

'You tried to attack Hiccup.' If thoughts could have killed, Toothless' thoughts would have been more dangerous than his blasts. Hookfang's eyes widened as his memories became clearer. He was almost panicking. The dragon quickly sprang up and turned around. He practically slammed his head on the ground in front of Hiccup.

'I have broken my oath and brought shame to the flock. I will accept my punishment as a warrior.'

'Hookfang!' Hiccup's thought silenced the dragon. 'I don't care about punishments. You were poisoned by some strange substance that was on Stormfly's tail. It even effected Toothless.'

'The Night Fury too threatened you?'

'Well... no,' Hiccup had to admit.

'Then the shame remains.'

'It better.'

'Toothless!' Hiccup sighed. 'Can we just focus on what's important. Shortclaw is still in danger. Hookfang, do you think you can fly?'

'Yes, if that is what you want.'

'As soon as Stormfly is better,' Hiccup answered before turning to Fishlegs. "It seems Hookfang is fine. We just have to wait for Stormfly."