Chapter 12

Hiccup ran around a corner and pressed himself against the wall, trying to be as small and unnoticeable as possible. Some people walking by still sneered at him if they didn't just ignore him. Snotlout was still somewhere near. Hiccup had to get home. He sprinted across the opening and uphill. He made it. Hiccup slammed the door; safety, finally. He settled by the fireplace, calming down.

A creak of the floor got him to turn away from the fire, still sitting. He backed towards the flames. Snotlout was standing right in front of him... The stronger teen stepped closer, reaching his hand towards Hiccup with a smirk on his face.

"It's only easier for me to get you here," Snotlout taunted as he made Hiccup retreat even closer to the burning flames. Snotlout's face blurred away and was replaced by the even more menacing face of Hakon. He raised his hand in a fist, ready to pummel Hiccup. The punch only hit darkness that moved in its way faster than any human could. Burning heat from the fire disappeared as the same darkness separated flames from Hiccup and completely encased him. Finally, he was actually safe.

Hiccup opened his eyes, but the darkness didn't go away. He wordlessly petted the thick scaled leg on his chest for a while; the nearby heartbeat was the only sound that existed. Toothless didn't try to push a conversation, but Hiccup felt a hot breath on the back of his head.

'Thank you,' Hiccup said through their bond. 'Apparently you now have to save me even in my dreams. Sorry if it woke you up, again.'

'Why do you always apologize?' Toothless asked. 'It's not like you can control your dreams.'

'I'm just worried for Ivar. This is all too familiar. In some ways he has things worse than I did, and he doesn't have any friend like you.'

'He has you. You always try to help others.'

'I try my best, but things might just get worse for Ivar if I do it openly.'

'Just like things would have gotten worse in Berk if people found me.'

'If you want to say something, just say it.'

'I just want you to stop worrying so much that it causes nightmares. I thought you were finally getting past Berk, but you can't leave it behind if you see the same thing happening.'

'So, you're thinking about what's best for me again?' Hiccup reached behind his head to find Toothless' snout.

'I also like that Ivar. He seems to be a better person than most Vikings. At least he isn't dangerous like the others.'

'That is part of the reason he has it so hard. Vikings like people who can be dangerous to their enemies,' Hiccup said. 'It's still the middle of the night isn't it?'

'Yes, go back to sleep. I won't let anyone hurt you, not even in dreams.'

'I'd rather dream about flying,' Hiccup answered and yawned. He fell asleep quickly and this time he didn't awaken again until his normal wet wake-up call in the morning. Toothless was careful though to not make his clothes wet, so Hiccup could just wipe the saliva from his face. He had not been attacked again in his dreams. Maybe even dream people were afraid of the Night Fury.

After crawling out from under Toothless' wing, Hiccup sat down on a rock to look over his small flock. They had all gathered around Toothless. Even Stormfly hadn't separated herself from the others. She was laying a bit oddly, at an angle. Hiccup should check the splint soon. At least the poison didn't affect her anymore and other wounds hadn't been dangerous. Then there was their newest friend.