Chapter 27

Only a few weeks ago Hiccup wouldn't have believed that one day he would desperately want dragon saliva on him. Cleaning with warm water wasn't bad for wounds but doing even that made it all the more painful. At least Night Fury saliva soothed the pain pretty quickly. Hiccup gasped for air as the old man touched his rotten stump again. His body tensed against the ropes that bound him.

"Try to stay still. I know it hurts, but there is nothing we can do about that," the old man said. Hiccup didn't answer. He wasn't sure he even could. He barely breathed. Had to, had to focus on something else, but the dragons around here were all suffering too. The old man brushed away some more blood. Hiccup squeezed his eyes shut and reached out. Anything to distract from his treatment. Unfortunately, the treatment also distracted his thoughts.

Still, there was a familiar feeling, something, someone. Hiccup focused strings of his mind on it... Whiplash! Could it be? Hiccup wasn't as connected with him as the others. He concentrated between flashes of pain to call out to the dragon.

'Whiplash? Whiplash?'

'Small Viking?' The dragon answered. The thoughts were faint. There was some distance between them, but not very much. Whiplash was definitely somewhere on the island. 'We found you. Perhaps the Night Fury will now calm down.'

'Toothless is with you?' Hiccup asked. He tried to search for his brother, but Whiplash was alone.

'On a nearby island. The other small Vikings didn't let him attack immediately. They want to know how you are first. I think that is what they want me to do. This Vikings and dragons flying together is strange, though not unpleasant. Even Shortclaw did it.'

'So, she and Ivar finally flew together. That means she is free?' Hiccup asked.

'Yes. She even claimed the Viking hatchling as her own.'

Hiccup's lips briefly turned up into a smile. A sudden wave of pain turned it into an ugly grimace. He was panting afterwards. With their minds connected, Whiplash had to have felt something.

'Are you okay?' He asked.

'No,' Hiccup answered. A tear escaped his eye. 'But I'm better knowing you found me. I was losing hope.'

'No one in your flock ever even considered not coming, but we had to wait for the Night Fury to awaken. Something happened after you were taken.'

'It happened to me too,' Hiccup paused. 'Did he hurt anyone?'

'Only the troublemaker, Hakon. The fool attempted to attack the Night Fury. He won't do that again anytime soon.' Whiplash' thoughts were distracted for a moment. 'Does the larger hatchling ever stop? Moving and making noises constantly isn't good for hiding.'

'Fishlegs? He's with you? What are you planning?' Hiccup asked.

'Yes, but we can't understand these Vikings. I think they have some plan.'

'Of course,' Hiccup responded. 'You are pretty far, but I think I can help, if you let me. I need to get deeper in your mind.' Whiplash hesitated in answering Hiccup.

'What if I don't?'

'Then I... I can't do it. I won't act like the Queen. Your mind is yours.' Hiccup gasped as the old man tightened a bandage on his stump. The mental link almost broke. 'I'm still glad you came.'

'Small Viking...' Whiplash started. 'I have followed you since you rescued me. Your flock has shown me why they follow you, your loyalty, your sacrifice, your will and power to protect them. If I may remain with your flock, you can enter my mind if you so wish... Alpha Viking.'