Chapter 13

So I was supposed to publish this chapter on Christmas, but noticed yesterday that I didn't (Wattpad had some issues yesterday so I'm publishing it now with next chapter)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hiccup walked back to the forge. What would he do now? He wanted to help Ivar, but had only gotten the boy and himself into more trouble. Maybe if he left, Hakon couldn't blackmail his brother anymore, but then Ivar would just be as alone as before anyway. Hiccup leaving was the very thing that Hakon was threatening Ivar with, so it wasn't truly an option. He had to stay, but what was he to do with the Snotlout 2.0? What if he suddenly changed his mind just to torment Ivar, or decided it was time to kill something? He'd never willingly let Shortclaw and the other dragons go free, maybe not even if the chief allowed it...

Hiccup was just arriving at the forge. Fishlegs was carrying in new firewood through the backdoor.

"Fishlegs, inside, we need to talk."

The larger boy cast one glance at Hiccup's stare and followed him without question. Haldor was out, but Hiccup still made sure that the door to their (mostly Fishlegs') little room was closed. He couldn't sit down and kept walking back and forth.

"What happened?" Fishlegs asked.

"Hakon happened!" Hiccup took a deep breath to calm himself down. "I took Ivar to see Shortclaw with keys he stole."

"You did what? Did you ever stop to consider that they may not want outsiders there? The chief won't like it if he hears, especially since Ivar is his son! He could make us leave."

"That is the problem. If the chief hears he might throw us out, and Hakon found us down there."

"Then the chief already knows."

"No, Hakon decided not to tell, or at least not yet. The information is too useful for blackmail. I wanted to help Ivar, but now Hakon is using me to make it even worse. If Ivar doesn't obey him, he's going to make their father throw us out. I'm not sure what to do."

"We will find the answer, but first you have to calm down. Sit down."

Hiccup kept walking, his breath quick. Fishlegs grabbed him with both hands

"Hiccup!" He pushed Hiccup on the edge of the bed. "Sit."

Hiccup had neither the will nor strength to refuse, so he finally settled, sitting on the edge of the bed. Fishlegs sat next to him. Even Toothless was getting over his own anger, as he started getting worried for Hiccup. Hiccup sought the comfort of their stretched bond while his breathing calmed down. He raised his head to meet Fishlegs' worried gaze.

"Okay. Have you calmed down?"

"As much as I can. What can I do?"

"Be very careful to start. Even if Hakon doesn't immediately tell the chief, he might take more things out on Ivar. It sounds like he is already sacrificing himself for us, or to keep you here even if Hakon stands in between you."

"I already know that."

"But do you understand what it means?"

Hiccup didn't immediately answer.

"It means that you've been doing the right thing. If he doesn't obey Hakon, things might return to as they were, but he is choosing this over that. He thinks that it is still better than how things used to be. Hakon already had a tight hold on him before anyway. This blackmail is just more of the same."