Chapter 21

Ivar followed his father out of the room, but glanced back once before closing the door. Hakon raised his head enough to stare at him. Even with their father now on his side, the look in his brother's eyes made Ivar fear for the future. They had to get the dragons out immediately. Ivar stuck near his father as Fishlegs joined them at the entrance. His eyes kept skipping between Ivar and his father.

"I'm pretty sure he'll heal completely, eventually," Ivar said. "Toothless hurt him pretty bad, but I think we should be more worried for his pride. He hasn't learned anything, and he doesn't want to."

"Fighting and overcoming dragons has been the symbol of strength for generations," dad said. "I see there.... Is more than that, but it will take a long time for people to come around and we must not let the village be divided." He glanced at Fishlegs. "You already told us what happened in your village. I don't know much about your chief, but I'm not going to give up on either of my sons for this."

"I understand what you're saying," Fishlegs said. "That's why we kept things hidden in the first place and tried to show you the true nature of dragons more slowly. Unfortunately, we don't have time for that anymore."

"It is unfortunate, though I don't appreciate people keeping secrets from me on my island." The Chief stopped. They were standing near the arena, surrounded by people with many warriors in the group. "Men, come with me. We need to do something." He turned to head for the arena, but one of the warriors spoke.

"And what would that be?" Ivar recognized the man that had pushed him aside earlier. The one who tried to kill Toothless.

"I need a few men to open the dragons' gates." A lot of people looked at each other with questions and uncertainty shining in their eyes.

"And for what reason?" The man asked. The Chief walked towards him and grabbed the man's collar. Ivar waited with Fishlegs and could barely hear what was said.

"You seem to be forgetting who the Chief is here. I haven't forgotten what you did earlier. Do not try me." He threw the man backwards. "Many of you have learned new things about these dragons in past days. Many others witnessed much more this evening. I will address the village tomorrow, but for now we will bring out the dragons in our arena. Does anyone have a problem with that?"

"Yes," the warrior said, despite the Chief's earlier words. Too many others, both warriors and other villagers, were nodding in agreement. A few warriors joined the disagreeing party. Ivar's eyes scanned the crowd, trying to find at least some friendly faces. He recognised many people who had been at Hiccup's lessons. With his father facing the few warriors largely alone, Ivar nudged Fishlegs' arm. They stepped aside, towards a couple of other villagers: One of the houses next to them belonged to a couple that had been at the lessons, and they had come out to see what was going on.

"Hey," Ivar said to them. "We need your help. Can you meet us behind the ring?"

"Why?" The woman asked. "I'm sorry, but we are also curious." It was genuine curiosity, the kind that would make them come if Ivar gave at least some answers.

"Consider it as the final lesson on the dragons, now that the hunters took Hiccup." They didn't show much surprise. The information had really spread quickly. "Please, we should at least try to avoid this." Ivar waved his arm towards his dad still in conflict with the small group of the rebellious warriors. The couple took a look at them and then faced Ivar with soft smiles.

"Okay. We'll help you."

"Thank you. If you see other people from the class, ask them to come too... but don't talk to dad's warriors. Better let him settle things with them first." They nodded and left towards the arena. Fishlegs stepped closer to stand right next to Ivar.