♤eighteen : consequences♤

The conversation raged between the two accomplished adults sitting in the office. I wondered if I should even be here. No, really, should I? My palms got sweaty and clammy, and I started to choke up. Why did I do what I did? Worst of all, on my first day?

I face palmed my forehead.

What an idiot.

You know what?

Screw them.

Principal Norrington poked her head out of the office, and told me it was time to come in now. I was terrified of what was about to go down. I quietly walked in and sat in one of the big cushy chairs. I braced for impact, I had heard Norrington comes down hard on bad people.

"Explain to me why you're here."

"Come again?" I was confused.

"Why are you here? In this school? If you hate it that much?"

"I don't -" I tried to get a word in.

"Let's be honest here."

"Okay, well then. You're right. If I didn't have to be here, I wouldn't be here. And-"

"Go on..."

"I was trying to. You have a habit of interrupting people when they're talking, you know?"

"Well, I -"

"Let's be honest here." I said, in a mocking tone. She closed her mouth to form a tight line with her lips. On the outside, my face was a picture of business, but on the inside, I was grinning with victory.

"Anyways," I started. "My house burned down and killed my parents along with it. I'm not always a very nice, peppy little cheerleader, kay? I have a lovely new family, my aunt and uncle took me in, and I love them very much. It's just, well, just --"

"What, honey?" She expressed softly, her eyes big, filled with sorrow.

"Soft all of a sudden, miss hardcore?" I snapped, aggravated with her sudden mood change. My life isn't a fricking sob story, it's exactly what it's called. 'Life.'

"You know, Marilyn, your teachers from your old school all told me that you were a very polite and respectable student. Mrs. Geisey said that you were her favorite student! She said that in math, you excelled immensely, and you were so chatty and kind!"

"Things change."

"Well, that doesn't mean you have to."

"But--"

"It doesn't mean you have to."

She uttered one more sentence before I was ushered out the door.

"Change isn't always bad, Miss Mersley."