♤nineteen : something♤

A fresh breeze rustled my hair, and the two doors to the bus opened creakily. With a whoosh, the doors finally opened, allowing the other kids and I to board it. Lazily, I trudged up the stairs only to have someone trip me. I fell face first in the aisle, my hair over my eyes. I tried to get up, but another kid pushed me back down.

"Smash her hard, Luke! Do it. You know what she did. Do it. Now."

Luke's fist impacted my skull, and I instantly felt blood pour out of my head. Still laying on the floor face down, I didn't think. I lashed out.

All I remember was quickly and quietly taking off the large straps of my backpack. The arguing got louder as they held Luke back.

"Luke! Oh my god! What do you think you're doing?" Shouts rang out and he fought back, trying to get back to slamming my head against the floor.

All attention was on him, I went unnoticed. I flipped on my side so my face was right side up, not smashed into the floor. My face was bloody and bruised, and I still had a waterfall coming out of the gash in my head.

Dazed, I stood up, and put my fists up weakly in defense. His eyes met mine, and I dropped my fists.

"What did I ever do to you? Huh? What did I do that so possessed you to smash my face, right after I finally recovered? After I went through months of hospitalization? I've had my face smashed before. That's fine with me. Last time, it was a brick wall!

Last time, people close to me died. You know what?"

Terrified, he replied weakly. "What?"

"This hurts more than that. You want to know why?" I gave him no time to respond. "I'll tell you why!" I shouted.

"I thought we were friends. But once again, my judgement was way wrong."

With that, I stormed off the bus, as gracefully as a lightheaded, beat up, smashed girl could manage.

While walking, I was starting to get really lightheaded. The word concussion flew through my mind. I think I may have left a trail of blood through the school, but I wasn't awake to see it. I still couldn't grasp the fact why Luke would have done that to me. I saved his butt from the note extravaganza, even though, I guess that was my fault. I slammed into a wall and realized I was paying absolutely no attention to where I was going. Everything was kind of fuzzy, and I swayed from dizziness as I attempted to walk. After a while, I couldn't see anything.

I stumbled, and I saw the floor coming at me real quick. A pair of arms encased me milliseconds before my face was smashed once more against the cold, hard floor. Trent. His huge hands wrapped around the back of my head, holding me upwards. As I nuzzled into his comforting frame, I looked deep into his dark brown eyes, and the last thing I saw was his face as I slipped into unconsciousness.