Goodnight, Night Vale

The voice of Night Vale echoed on the radio throughout town. It was a sweet, happy voice tonight. Nothing was to fear about the show. There were no threats being broadcast. Just a wonderful storyteller talking about the past couple of days. It was normal to hear about the voice's personal life. It seemed like another section on his show. No one seemed to complain about the daily life of Cecil Palmer, so he had no reason to stop talking about himself and his life.

 "It's been a long few days without me, I know, but I promise listeners, that I won't disappear without a warning anymore. Oh it was horrible not being able to sit down in this chair and talk about the news going on, but now I'm back listeners. My intern had probably filled you in on where I went, hopefully. Anyway!"

Cecil went on about the adventure he had in the other dimension. How everything seemed to be flipped and backwards. After he did the community calendar he went to the weather. A soft melody of tunes played over the air. Cecil took a breather and looked over at his boyfriend and intern who both gave him a thumbs up. Oh how it felt to be back.

As soon as the weather finished up, his voice was once again producing sound. The sound traveled all over the desert community. Words traveled from the microphone in front of the radio host and into the radios of his listeners.

"And before I leave you tonight, Night Vale. We do the same of what we always do. Lay our heads on that brick and close our eyes. Let those synthetic muscles produce an imaginary world as we lay comatose on your bed. Goodnight, Night Vale, Goodnight."

At the end of the show, purple headphones were pulled down to the man's neck. Switches were turned off and nobs were turned to the left. Radios in town were turning off when the show ended. Some stayed on, but most lost their power. A smile grew on the radio host's lips as he turned his chair around to see his boyfriend next to an intern. Yes there was silence, but it wasn't trying to drown him this time. This was comforting. It seemed like a nice hug from a friend.

The door to the recording studio opened slowly with a creak that scared the silence away. A reminder to the radio host to oil that one day. Tonight, no. Tonight Cecil had a better idea and it seemed like his boyfriend was sharing the same idea. It felt so good to be in the recording studio with him and nothing was keeping them apart. He walked in and sat on the edge of the desk in front of the radio host. His eyes weren't leaving Cecil's. How could they? It felt like they hadn't seen each other in years, but it had only been a few days.

There was a knock on the glass from an intern. A gesture was shown to the radio host and his boyfriend showing it was time to leave and go home. Possibly get some sleep. Everyone needed it. A chuckle came from Cecil seeing the gesture. He told his intern to go home and get sleep. He had told him that he would be able to lock up the radio station after they left.

The intern nods before leaving the building. Thus leaving just Cecil and his boyfriend in the whole building. The only light that was on in the whole building was the light in the hall outside the recording studio. The two sat in the darken room. One moved off the desk and onto the radio host's lap just to get closer to him.

"Never leave me like that." One said before settling his lips on the other.

"Promise." The other replied after kissing back.

The two tangled their arms together around each other in a hug as their lips interlocked. The only sounds that could have been heard the two kissing and soft promises that might be broken the next day, they couldn't see the future. The future wasn't a problem they needed to worry about. The present was on their mind. 

Cecil pulled away for a breath and seemed so lost in his boyfriend's eyes. It was almost looking back into another galaxy. It was wonder. It was mysterious. It was love. Love was pulling the two into a grip they didn't want to escape from. Cecil didn't want to argue with love. No one dares to argue with them. When love takes control, you lay back and enjoy the show.

A pause happened between the two. Each look at each other. Neither could think right, but at least they knew what they were doing. One spoke to break the quiet room. 

"hmm... Earl, care to stay over at my place tonight?" There was a smirk growing over the red eyed radio host.

"I'll love to." He replied.

It would be a perfect imperfect night for the two lovers at Cecil's apartment.

_______________________

Author's Note: How about that for a twist? Hahaa! Anyway before I bid a goodnight I want to thank my Carlos for being my beta through this madness and thanks to the WTNV amino where it also has been posted. Now Goodnight, readers. Goodnight.