Chapter Twenty Four

Its early in the morning as a drowsy Zerra enters the kitchen. To her surprise, she sees that Jun was cooking something by the stove. After opening the refrigerator to get a bottle of milk, she turns her attention to him. It was just at this point where Jun realize that Zerra was in the room with him.

Zerra: You're up early. What's up?
Jun: Oh, good morning. (looks at Zerra)
Zerra: Good morning to you too. So, what's going on? Its rare to see you use the kitchen.
Jun: You mean you don't know?
Zerra: Know what?
Jun: Today is Erica's birthday.

Zerra was about to drink the milk but stops in surprise after hearing that.

Zerra: It's her birthday?
Jun: Yeah, it is. That's why I'm cooking her favorite dish: Potato Stew. She simply can't get enough of it.
Zerra: She never actually mentioned when her birthday was. Wait a minute, if you knew, you should have told me. Now I don't have anything to give her.
Jun: It's fine. Let's just tell her that this stew is from both of us.
Zerra: Hmmm. Well, if you say so. But I would prefer if I gave her something.

Jun pulls out his cellphone from his pocket to check the time.

Jun: It's a bit too early. I doubt that any store will be open right now.
Zerra: I see. By the way, where's Erica anyway?
Jun: Now that you've mentioned it, she hasn't been back for quite awhile. My guess is that she's busy at that Organization she works for. But I think she'll be back today. It's her birthday after all.

Zerra starts thinking of something while drinking her milk. She takes a seat near a table and continues brainstorming.

Jun: You know, it's perfectly fine if you don't give her anything. It's the thought that counts so I'm sure she'll understand.

After thinking for a moment, a thought comes across Zerra's head.

Zerra: Hey, Jun. Do we have some sand?

Zerra's question was so strange that Jun had to stop cooking and focus his attention at her.

Jun: That's a weird thing to say.
Zerra: Just answer me. Do we have some sand or not?
Jun: The only way to get sand is to go to the beach.
Zerra: The beach, huh? Even though I can go there and be back in no time, Erica might come home any minute.
Jun: Wait, I think we do have some.
Zerra: Really?
Jun: Oh, now I remember. We have some sand bags down in the basement. This area used to floor whenever the rain wouldn't stop pouring.
Zerra: Great! Thanks Jun!

Zerra quickly leaves the kitchen and heads for the basement, leaving a clueless Jun behind.

Jun: What the hell is she going to do with sand?

Jun continue his cooking. A little later, Zerra and Jun were at the backyard. Zerra had just emptied the sand bags and piled the sand in front of her. Jun still didn't know what Zerra was planning but she had an excited expression on her face as she stares at the sand.

Zerra: There! That should do it!
Jun: What exactly will do you?
Zerra: Oh, you'll see. I'm sure Erica will be pleased as well once she sees it.
Jun: If you say so.
Zerra: By the way, could you step back a bit?
Jun: Huh? What for?
Zerra: If you don't want to become a human barbecue, then I suggest you do what I say.
Jun: Ummm, r-right....

Jun moves several feet away from Zerra. Once she sees that he was safely away, she begins to emit flames from her body. Even though he was far away from her, he could still feel the heat.

Jun: Don't you think it's about time you tell me what you're planning?
Zerra: Just wait and see!

As the flames grow bigger and larger, Zerra manipulates them to swirl around the sand. After a moment, Jun notice that the sand was melting. And as it was melting, the swirling flames was slowly forming a shape out of it.