RBTD (02) Saving the Life of Someone You Don't Know

>>Hardening 02 -Saving the Life of Someone You Don’t Know-

As I finished drawing a map of where all the bandit camps were, Larry was pacing behind me watching my every move. I was very scared of him. Any kind of wrong move in his eyes, and I could be kicked out. Even though their vote counted me in, at night he could always secretly dispose of me. I wouldn’t be surprised if he did. If an odd girl came into my camp when I was trying to protect my sister, I would most definitely be thinking of the awry by all means.

Doug was surprised by how detailed and how fast I drew the map. “How do you know all of this? You must’ve been with them a long time.”

I wanted to boast, joke, and be my old self, but I was Raca now. “Well… I’ve been with them for a long time… I haven’t been able to keep track, but more than a month I suppose. However long you were hanging around here would probably be the time I’ve been with them since my camp was raided before I saw any walkers.”

After I got done talking to Clementine an hour ago, they told me about what those walking dead things were. They go by many names, but the name that is most used in our group is the term “walker.” Why walker? Because they’re dead, but they’re WALKING. So walker is a very appropriate term, no?

“It must’ve been harsh…” I heard Lee from behind me, “Did they relocate you from time to time from each camp?”

“No.” I said very bluntly, trying to curve attitude out of my tone. “When they were out looking for things, my sister and I looked around the area. We never came in contact with a walker, but we did scout the area and see where everything was and forced ourselves to remember it just in case something were to happen. Which in this case deems useful to you all. So I am very glad. However, we know there are more than just the five I’ve listed, the main camp is said to be hidden deeper. I apologize for my lack of knowledge, but the camp I was being held captive was so close to the road that if we wondered too far in we’d be lost. And if we returned later, they’d known we had escaped and killed us. We did anything to preserve life. I apologize.”

They noticed how I bowed my head and Mark added in a question that puzzled even me, “Don’t worry about it… However, why did they keep you alive? The bandits usually kill people they do not want, right?”

I looked up at him with a pleading look, realizing I finally knew the reason why they had kept us alive. “Sex. Those people wanted so much of it so badly. They… They defiled my mother in front of us; including my father. They probably kept my sister and me alive since we were female and we were young. Once those people felt the desire to reproduce, they could have easily picked us out. Thank goodness we got out of there when we did… If we hadn’t, we’d be the ones in Mother’s position… We’d be the one in pain… Well, one of us would. Just not you. I--” I realized I had started to ramble on, and everyone was looking at me oddly. “I mean--! Yes. Here is the map... Just be aware of the areas farther out since I do not know their supplies well… West of the camp I was held at was my family’s camp. There is probably nothing there, but whenever you want to go out searching for anything, I am ready.”

Kenny looked at me in confusion. “We do not really want to SEARCH the camps. We just want to know where they are in case they take someone or something from us. Other than that we do not really need to know where they are. But thank you for doing this for us.”

My face was lit up in a fire red rage. They weren’t going to look…? But I needed someone to come with me so I could search for my sister! She is still out there! I can feel it! There was no way I could search for her now!

Kenny noticed my expression and was even more confused. However, he carried on what he was saying. “We could also use this for when we hunt. So we do not accidentally bump into one of their camps.”