RBTD (05) Traveling in Uncharted Territory

>>Hardening 05 (Traveling in Uncharted Territory)

My life before this crisis was filled with many ups and downs. Like anyone else, I went to school, had friends, and did my best. My sister and I were the “quiet ones” in our school. We never talked to anyone unless they talked to us. We still had friends though. I also had online friends that I met on different web sites. After school, my sister and I were more talkative since we knew each other well. Also, our eldest sister, Cassie, visited us from time to time. She had a boyfriend and a job, so we only really saw her on the weekend.

Unlike the people here at the inn, I am not a native to this area. My uncle dragged us down from Pennsylvania to go camping here. This was my first time being so far away from home. I had to wonder. Was my eldest sister, Cassie alright? Did the infection spread all the way up there? What about my friend Flick in Illinois? Was she okay? Was she surviving? And my other friends in Canada, Australia, and Japan. Where they okay? Was the infection just here? Or was it everywhere?

As I sat up the next morning, I realized how bad my back ached and how little I could breathe without having to gasp for air. I wish I knew how everyone was at this moment… Could I help them? I don’t know… But if I left to find them, I wouldn’t even make it out of Georgia without being eaten by something. Plus, no one would come with me. So I’d be alone as well. No way was I going to try to go alone. That is a worthless death sentence in and of itself.

Just as I started to have a coughing fit, Travis came into my room. Again, he didn’t knock, but I disregarded that anyway. “What do you need of me?” I coughed barely able to regain my breath.

“We have food now…” He said awkwardly while staring at the floor. “You can come have some. I know you haven’t eaten in a few days…”

Travis was right, my stomach was eating me alive. If I didn’t get something to eat, I may never recover from my cold. So I stood up and followed him out into the clearing. I think my coughing bothered him. Every time I coughed, he would flinch.

As I got into the clearing I saw Lee. He noticed me and brought me a small bread bun. I was satisfied with this enough. I bowed to him and went back to my room to eat it. I don’t know why, but eating in front of people is something I deem as rude unless you’re all eating at once.

After I finished eating my bread, Travis walked up to me again. He explained to me that at the dairy they were cannibals and everyone was going to be eaten. But Doug and Carley saved them and brought them all back. However, Larry died due to a heart attack and Mark was cut up and eaten. It was a nasty place, thank goodness Lee killed those crazy people!

I pulled the events together in my mind and then asked Travis to explain what happened last night to everyone. However, Travis said he didn’t want to because Carley would get mad that they let someone into the camp. That is true, but didn’t she tell us to report anything that happened? Whether or not it violated her rules?

Travis nodded. “I guess we should tell them… If we keep it a secret, it’ll seem like we are a spy or working for someone I guess… The last thing we need is to have people be suspicious of us, right?”