RBTD (03) Finally Meeting Everyone

After a few hours I guess, Travis came into my room to wake me up. I drowsily made my way from the floor onto my bed and regained my balance. I noticed as I regained my balance that it was hard for me to breathe and I was wheezing. What kind of idiot catches a cold in the summer? Well, I guess that is me since only idiots catch summer colds.

I noticed Travis had seen my poor display of trying to stand up. He looked a bit worried to say the least. “Are you okay? I can hear you breathing from all the way over here. You look like you haven’t slept at all… Do you need more rest?”

For some reason his politeness irked me. Was this the way Lilly felt when I approached her yesterday? “You mustn’t worry.” I wheezed, trying to cover a cough. “I am susceptible to illnesses… I doubt it will get bad, but if it does, then I’ll die I guess.”

Travis was in sudden shock. Was someone dying really that shocking now a days? I mean, the dead are up and walking around everywhere, right? “But if you die… You’ll come back…! We’ll have to blow your head in!”

I was surprised, what did Travis mean by that? “What do you mean?” I asked wheezing my thoughts into words. “Why must my head be destroyed?”

“Don’t you all know…? No matter how you die, unless the head is destroyed, you’ll come back as… as one of THEM!” His words were laced with fear and a sudden pulse of sadness. I could tell that he learned this first hand himself.

“You need to tell everyone this!” I said coughing a little bit on my last words. “Everyone needs to know this in case someone dies…!”

The moment the last word came from my mouth, Travis rushed outside and I could hear him talking to Lilly and everyone. Is what Travis said true? Then again, I have no room to doubt. That would probably explain how it spread so quickly… If people hid and starved, they’d come back. If someone committed suicide, they’d come back. If the bandits injured someone but didn’t destroy their head, they’d come back. That explains how many of them there are!

As I looked around my room, I found the scarves I made hidden under the bed. One of them had the name “Travis” and the other had “Ben” on it. It seemed I had made these for them without remembering why. My memories of last night were all but clear. I couldn’t even remember where I had put my sewing kit. So I gently curled up the scarves and put them into my bag. Shall I really give them these? Or shall this just be my little secret? I don’t know. Maybe… I saw them as my older brothers? In the place of my older sisters’ absences?

As I made my way into the clearing, I could tell that everyone knew about what Travis explained to me. Everyone’s faces were in surprise and disgust. I heard them talking it over and trying to convince themselves it wasn’t true. But it was, no one could deny that.

After a few moments, everyone went back to work. Lee and Lilly were disputing food sources. Doug, Mark, and Larry were fixing the barricade. Clementine, Duck, Travis, and Ben were drawing. Carley was watching over them while Katjaa checked the supplies. Kenny was also watching the children with a happy look on his face. He was proud of his son, wasn’t he? Duck always brought up the mood, even in times of crisis. Or so I’ve heard. I’ve only been with them a two days, so I was not quite certain. I really liked this group though. Despite Larry’s cruelty, everyone else was quite nice. Well, Lilly can be very cruel as well, but at least her cruelty had reason behind it. Larry was just a jerk.

Suddenly, Lee came up and offered me food. I took it, but I didn’t eat it. I’ve yet to eat since I came here, but it didn’t feel right. Clementine, Duck, and Ben got the remaining food, but Travis did not get any. I felt bad, so when Lee left, I gave mine to Travis. At first, he was surprised.