chapter sixteen

Rafe turned on his bed, his eyes closed, dreaming. He was on top of the stage and people were laughing at him but he was not bothered in the slightest. Everyone wore masks, their mouths curled upwards in laughter. Rafe could not move, he only stood there, staring head on as the harsh spotlight blind his eyes. From afar, he could see Aina, clad in her usual clothes.

That was when he realized they all were wearing vintage clothes. Somewhere in the 60's maybe. Suddenly his vision blurred, and he was sitting in an opera. In front of him was a projected screen of a movie, he couldn't tell what it was, but he was sure he saw it before.

"This is my favorite movie, Jade Summers and The Lighthouse." someone spoke, Rafe turned to Aina who was seated beside him, but her eyes and her hair were back to normal, she looked human.

Rafe doesn't know why, but he knew her. "Olga." this wasn't the angel Aina, this was her vessel.

She smiled at him and took his hand, brushing soothing circles on his hand. "I missed you." Rafe gazed into her sad eyes.

"How did I get here?"

"It's rude don't you think?" he gave her a confused look. "We have a lot of catching up to do and this is your first question? I've wanted to meet you in a long while. To think I'd know what you'd say."

He paused, licking his lips. "How are you?"

She smiled, he was correct. "I'm fine. Hopefully you are too." she stood up and suddenly their scenery changed, they were both standing outside the cinema, the place looked like New York, but older.

She skipped along the pavement and he followed after her, there was no one else here besides the two of them. "I'm confused, I seem to know you."

"Of course you do. I know you, you know me." she spoke, and he noticed the tinge of her British accent.

He stopped on his heels, looking at the strange woman in front of him. "Have we met before?"

Olga turned to him with a mischievous smile. "Not in this life." she stepped closer and held both of his hands, dragging him forward as the place changed again, this time, they were on a moving ferry sailing on waters at the evening.

Rafe watched the water glisten below by the lights in silence, the waves crashing against the boat. He jumped in surprise when the loud horn blew, signalling their departure. Olga twirled around with her new dress and she giggled, leaning on the rails and watched the view of San Francisco with him.

"I don't understand what's happening anymore." he muttered. "You keep taking me to places I've never been, are you trying to tell me something?"

"But you've been to these places." she said, twirling her hair with her finger, he looked at her and she broke eye contact. "It's time for you to remember."

"Remember what?"

"Look behind you."

Rafe hesitated but did what he was told, his eyes widened in astonishment. In front of him were the ferry's windows, but he did not care about that, he stared at his supposed reflection, he had blonde hair and blue eyes and he was also taller than Rafe. This man was not him at all, but he can't help but feel a sense of nostalgia and melancholy.

"Is this. . ." he touched his face. "Me?"

"Who else would you be?" Olga leaned back on the rails, her hands trailing. "I came to visit you for one reason."

"What for?"

"To warn you of the demon Pride. You never know what you see and feel are real, he may have tricked you for a while now. He plots something dreadful."