TWENTY ONE

"We're screwed." Kara panicked, running her hand through her hair as she sat down at the prince's desk. Ed sighed, taking a seat on his bed.

"Calm down, Wendall won't speak a word of this to anyone," Prince Edward told her.

"How can you be sure about that?!" Kara asked, "if your father finds out about this-"

"He won't," the prince interrupted, "I won't let that happen." Ed got up from his bed, walking over to her. He put his hand on her cheek, she closed her eyes, melting into his touch. But she pulled away seconds after.

"Just because we kissed, doesn't mean anything can happen between us...you're marrying me sister," Kara said, gently pushing him away. The prince nodded, looking down at his feet.

"Of course...yes," he mumbled, Kara noticed the hurt look on his face and hopped off the desk, walking over to him.

"You know," she started, resting her chin on his shoulder, "You're very good at being broody," she told him, a smile breaking out onto her face.

"It's a gift," the prince said quietly, he pulled away from her, walking over to his desk.

"Come on, what were you expecting would happen if you kissed me...we would live happily ever after?!" Kara asked, walking over to where he was sitting, on his desk.

"No," he sighed, running a hand though his hair, "I was hoping I wouldn't feel anything."

"What?" Kara asked, scrunching her face up in confusion.

"I was hoping that I could kiss you, and feel like it was nothing...but-"

"You felt something?" Kara asked, her eyes wide.

"Yes," the prince admitted, playing with his fingers in his lap. "Which was what I was most afraid of."

"You were...afraid to feel something for me, why?" Kara asked, feeling a little hurt.

"Why do you think?!" The prince yelled, making her jump, "I'm going to marry your sister, I can't have feelings for you!"

"Right, is it because I'm a bastard?!" Kara yelled back, trudging over to the prince.

Ed scoffed, "Don't be ridiculous, it has nothing to do with you being a bastard."

"Really? Because you seemed pretty bothered by it a few weeks ago when you practically called me worthless...did you feel something for me then?!" Kara asked, fuming as she got into the prince's face.

Prince Edward looked down at his feet, Kara chuckled. "You did, didn't you?" She asked, backing away from him. "Do you have any idea how badly that hurt me?" She asked, him. "I suppose not, because you said them anyway...or maybe you did, but I don't understand why you would say those things if you felt something for me-"

"You wouldn't understand," Prince Edward interrupted her.

"I wouldn't?!" Kara yelled, "how could you possibly know that?"

"You have no idea what it was like to grow up with a father who hated bastards...who thought they were a disgrace to everyone, and then to have a brother that just so happens to be one...he's my brother Kara, and my father still hated him...his own son!" The prince said, his eyes burning into hers.

"That's the biggest load of bullshit I've ever heard," Kara mumbled darkly. "I did grow up with a father who hated bastards...my own father! Why don't you try being mine and Matthew's shoes, try being the ones that are hated, then you can come crying to me like a little bitch...because right now, you look pathetic."