THIRTY THREE

Prince Edward rushed down the stairs to the basement. No one was ever allowed down there...it's where they kept their prisoners, but the prince was desperate. His feet landed in a puddle as he hit the bottom of the stairs, it was dark and damp down there. He grabbed a torch of the wall, continuing down the dark hall lined with cells.

"Hey there, Sir!" A deep voice sang, catching the prince's attention. "What brings a preppy dick like you down to these parts?"

"Watch what you say to me," Ed spit. The man laughed, coming into the light, Prince Edward's eyes widened at the presentation of him. He had a small beard, dark eyes and disturbing teeth. "I'm looking for someone."

"Who?" The man asked, smiling at the prince. "It must be important because we ain't seen a royal down here in years."

"How did you know I was-"

"It's obvious, you all wear that same...damned look on your faces," the man grumbled.

"What is your name?" Ed asked through gritted teeth.

"Why?" The man snapped, looking at the prince coldly.

"Just answer the damn question!" Prince Edward yelled, causing the man to laugh again. "Do I need to kill you...because I will." The prince said, holding his sword up to the man's neck.

"No need," the man said calmly. "Alex Warren." Prince Edward dropped his sword at his side, taking a deep breath. This horrible man was in fact the person he was looking for...much to his displeasure.

"It's your lucky day, Alex," Prince Edward spoke, fishing a ring of keys out of his pocket. "You're coming with me."

"Where to?" Alex asked, watching the prince closely as he unlocked his cell.

"I need you to do something for me."

"Why would I do that?" Alex laughed, backing away from the open cell. "You've done nothing for me."

The prince groaned, "I hate that I have to resort to you...selfish criminals to get what I want."

"Well, would it make you feel any better if I told you I hated it just as much?" Alex chuckled. "What do you want thats so important anyway?"

"That's none of you concern, lets go," Prince Edward snapped, grabbing Alex by the arm and pulling him out of the room.

"I think it is my concern since you need me to do it," Alex pointed out as he trailed behind the prince. The prince growled, annoyed with this man already. "How do you plan on getting away with this? Won't your father be furious with you?"

Prince Edward took a deep breath, turning his sword on the man behind him, "No one is to know about this. You will stay in the room I put you in and only speak to me...do you understand?"

"Of course, Prince," Alex smiled, Edward shook his head, shoving his sword back in his belt as he turned around to go up the stairs.

"It's Sir to you."

"You are the prince then, are you?" Alex hummed, "I wasn't sure."

"How long have you been down here?" Prince Edward asked him, setting the torch back up on the wall.

"Thirteen years and counting," Alex laughed.

"Really?" Prince Edward raised his eyebrows. "Well, he put you down here for the right reasons, you-"

"That's none of your business," Alex snapped, jerking his arm in the prince's grasp.

"Alright," Ed sighed, pulling him up the stairs. "But treason is never excusable and I want you to know, that when I'm finished with you...you're headed straight back down to your cell."

"Ahh, of course, I wouldn't expect anything different," Alex sighed.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Prince Edward asked as they reached the door at the top of the stairs.

"You're just like your father...an ungrateful Prince with no real intentions for the people."

"You killed someone...you don't get real intentions from anyone!" Prince Edward yelled. "Murder is inexcusable and you will burn for it."

Alex chuckled, "You royals sure do love your fires, don't you?"

"Yeah, but we love our swords more," Prince Edward said, pointing the sword at Alex's neck.

"Now, we're never going to get along if you keep doing that," he told the prince, looking down at the sharp blade pointing at his neck.

"We don't need to get along...You just need to cooperate," Prince Edward snapped, pulling the sword away. "Lets keep moving. Do not say a word, do you hear me?"

"Of course, Sir," Alex smiled. The prince sighed, turning to open the door, he looked around to make sure no one was in the hall before pulling Alex out with him. They quickly rushed up the stairs and down the hall to the prince's chambers. Ed through him inside, closing the door behind him.

"We got lucky...no one was in the hall," Prince Edward sighed, looking at the criminal behind him.

"Yes...now, why have you broken me out of my cell?" Alex asked, sitting down on the prince's bed.

Prince Edward took a deep breath, "I want you to kill someone for me."

***

Kara sighed as she sat at the table in the kitchens.

Wendall walked in, smiling at her. "Kara...what brings you here?"

"What? Oh...um, I was just... thinking," Kara mumbled, Wendall cocked his head to the side.

"Is everything alright? Has the prince done something?" Wendall asked, walking over to sit next to her.

"No, no. Nothing's happened with him," she sighed.

Wendall raised his eyebrow, "Really? Because he seemed to be in an awfully good mood this morning."

Kara looked up at him with a small smile on her face. "He did?"

"Oh yes, and I feel like it had something to do with you...am I correct?" Wendall smiled.

"I-" the doors to the kitchen flew open and six knights came into the room, followed my King John. Both Kara and Wendall flew up from their seats, looking at the king with wide eyes.

King John's face hardened when his eyes landed on Kara. "Cease her!"

"What?" Kara breathed, watching as two knights marched over, grabbing her by the arms. Kara struggled in their grip, "What are you doing?!"

"Take her to the cells, I'll deal with her after my son."

Enjoy!!

-M🥀