Chapter 4

"Hi Calum!" What a nice way to welcome my day. Martina waved at me as if we are super close friends. She smiles like a child and the face of Monica appeared in a flash. She really does look like Monica. I mean, not as identical, but somehow resemblant to Monica's appearance. Woof. Maybe I'm just preoccupied by the thoughts of missing Monica.

"Hi Cal!" She walked towards and eventually she followed me because I walked past her. How rude of you Cal. "So what'ya doing yesterday? You're in front of a grave." She said as casual as she could sound. But, what? She saw me? "How did you know?" I try to sound as unsurprised as I can. "I...I...I um... Kinda followed you? Who's buried there?" She said in a comfy manner. "If you're my friend, then you must know. But since you're not...." "Aren't we friends?" She cut me off. "All I thought is we're friends. Fudge. Maybe I'm just too friendly. Sorry." She frowned after and walked fast past me. I felt some fast heart pounds in my heart but I felt relieved a short time after.

I went straight to our first class. And it's Literature. Which means Tina and I are classmates-slash-seatmates. I reached the room and sat down. She's already there and didn't even bother to look at me. I should really feel relief now, but why I am feeling guilty? Maybe I feel pity for her.

"Why Calum?" She surprises me right after I let my butt touch the wooden surface of the chair. I looked at her with a big question mark formed on my face. "Why Calum? I thought we're friends. I mean... I-I just wanna know." I wasn't supposed to be surprised, but I am. A while ago she's sorry for being a feeler, but now she's asking me why am I shutting her out. I can't tell her that she reminds me of Monica, with the exact jolliness she possesses. I can't by this time. Besides, why should I tell her? I didn't answer. Instead I listened to the lesson, and so she is.

An hour later, I finally have the courage to speak, because If I won't tell her now, I can't for the rest of the day because she has other classes. The period is about to end. "I just can't" I told her softly. "I'm afraid." I said those words unconsciously. "Why?" She followed then. "I can't tell you by now." I told her after. "Okay. But at least can we be now friends? Acquaintance is awkward. And we'll be classmates in only one subject throughout the year." She said, kinda convincing me.

I closed my eyes and thought of Monica. Her eyes, her hair, her smile. Suddenly, cold wind from the window blew and the cold air lingered in my body for some time. According to my imaginative self, I knew it was her.

I opened my eyes again and saw Tina looking with eyes of hope. "Well, it's not gonna be that hard." I told her with a genuine smile.

She smiled back and we went back in our own businesses. Literature ended and we split classes. We bade goodbye in a non-verbal way. We just smiled at each other and it felt good. At least I knew she's not feeling bad anymore.

I went to my next class bringing a smile on my face the whole day. This day is definitely something.