F I V E

It was hard for me to figure out what to do with this chapter... At first I wanted to split it in half and add another chapter and or so in the middle, to keep from making you all think I was rushing the plot. While what happens at the end of this does happen sooner than I normally would like, there is an actual purpose behind it and I don't want you to completely hate Leo for his actions in this. 

C H A P T E R 

F I V E 

A D E L A I D E 

I ran around the apartment, stuffing all my clothing and personal items into my bags as quick as I could. My plan was to wake up, pack, and leave, but I had somehow slept in till one o'clock, and I just knew Brett would most likely come around. I shouldn't have ever let him know where I lived. It would have made my residency here last a little longer.

Sweat was dripping down my face as I sprinted around, trying hopelessly to fit all the stuff I bought into undersized bags. I had to get out of here. This pack that was taking over was controlled by a total loon. Me? Beautiful? With my mismatched eyes, plain hair, and ugly markings etched into my skin? I didn't think so.

My hair was pulled up into a ponytail so it wouldn't stick to my face while I worked. Once all of my stuff was packed, I started to clean. Everything I couldn't pack with me I had to organize neatly for whoever got this place after me.

My door slowly creaked open, and I just groaned. Brett. Of course. "Tell your Alpha he owes me fifteen hundred," I called out. "Wasted it all on this place I'd live in for less than a month." I was angrily scrubbing the dishes in the sink, gritting my teeth as I tried to suppress the growing empty pit in my stomach.

I hadn't felt the pit since the night I watched all the kids my age get their mates and be accepted as adults. The feeling of it now seemed to weigh me down more than ever. Never before had it made me feel so sick and lost and sad. Maybe it was because before I was used to it, I hadn't known anything different, and now that I'd had a taste of the happiness of freedom, I realized how much it weighed me down.

"This piece of crap cost you fifteen hundred?" a voice I did not want to hear asked.

My fingers closed around a glass mug and I spun, flinging it at the wall beside his head. Leo ducked anyways, shielding his head from the shards of glass, and cursed at me. "What the hell was that for?" he snapped.

"That was for ruining everything for me," I spat back, leaving the hot water running over the few dishes left. I grabbed the broom and dustpan that I found when I moved in, bending down to pick up the shards left of the mug. "All I wanted was to leave my pack and have freedom. I want my own life, not someone else's. Is that too much to ask?"

Leo growled, shoving me back and taking the supplies so he could do it. "How did I ruin it? I offered to let you stay, the only thing you had to do was join my pack," he claimed. "Sounds like you ruined it for yourself, princess. By refusing a great opportunity."

"What are you doing here anyways?" I said, avoiding his comment. "Whatever it is, you need to make it quick. I've got to catch a bus at-"

Leo threw the ceramic crumbs into the garbage, setting the broom aside as he came to stand near me. "I came to apologize, Adelaide."