Chapter 30: Bad Boy To The Rescue

[A/N: Pic of Mona and Ash on the side. Songs for the chapter:
- Ellie Goulding // Goodness Gracious
- Ellie Goulding // Hanging On
- Taylor Swift // Jump Then Fall]

"Come on Blake!" Mona and I screeched over the roaring crowd when he touched the ball with his left foot and snatched it away from his opponent.

If our team carried on this way, we were going to win our first opening game since Tyler quit the team.

We were perched on the highest row of bleachers, right at the far back so that Blake could spot us amidst the hundreds of people that had gathered around to watch the first game of the season.

Leading by one goal, Riverdale High could secure an easy win only if Blake and the other defender, Jordan Elliot, made certain that the other team did not score an equalising goal. There were only a few minutes remaining of the ninety minute match, so keeping the score up shouldn't be too hard.

I stole a glance at Mona as she toyed with the hemline of Blake's jersey. It was crimson red with Sinclair written on the back above the number seven. Usually we alternated between wearing his jersey but tonight he specifically asked her to wear it and she turned into a mumbling tomato.

My gaze ran along the bleachers, picking out the ten other girls who had been chosen to sport the jerseys of our team. Spotting Michelle as Dylan's one, I thought back to the times Taylor always used to sport her brother's jersey when he captained our team. I guess it comforted me that Tyler never once asked Michelle to wear his jersey.

"Come on Blake!" I screamed, jumping out of seat to get a better view.

The freshly cut grass of the soccer pitch was dotted with twenty-two players; half of them clad in red and the other half sporting blue.

Watching Blake's crimson shorts ripple from his lightning speed, my friend wove in between two of Preston High's strikers. I screamed with delight when he passed the ball to Jonah who was on the other half of the pitch.

"Phew!" I slumped back down as Mona clapped her hands with glee. "I thought Preston were going to score a goal and make the scores even again."

She stood up and clambered onto the bleacher, cleverly using it as leverage to give her a perfect view. Now that she was a foot taller than everybody else, Mona could scour the entire pitch to locate Blake, moving her head from side to side to see past the people in the previous rows.

"Oh my god," Mona echoed. "Oh my god, what is he doing?"

Confused, I stood up, trying to catch a glimpse of whatever was making Mona grumble profanities. My eyes found our friend's sweaty, black hair amidst the brunettes and blonds, racing to get the ball from a burly midfielder from Preston High.

Blake was no longer in defence leaving a third of the our side of the pitch deserted. A burly guy with closely cropped, brown hair edged towards our goalkeeper, sending his teammates secretive looks.

Coach Webber shouldn't have doubled up the strikers because that weakened our defence since Blake and Jordan couldn't fend off Preston's vicious strikers. Dylan shouldn't have changed the formation to 2-4-4 as opposed to the 3-5-2 formation that Tyler stuck with when he was our captain.

What was the point in having four strikers and two defenders? Sure, we were brutal at breaking up the rival's defence of five but their counter-attacks were wearing out our defenders.

"If they get the ball across to that guy over there, they're gonna score!" I grunted, joining Mona on top of the bleacher to get a better view of the verdant pitch.

And sure enough my prediction was accurate. A Latin-American guy from the other team lobbed the ball from the halfway line to the burly striker. In a split second, he was sprinting after it, dribbling it with skill to the one-manned goal.