Chapter 27: Apologies And Dinosaur Band Aids

[A/N: Song for the chapter:
-Taylor Swift // Come In With The Rain]

"Ashley?"

I jolted awake, startled to find sea-green eyes a few inches from me. Dazed, I blinked wearily until I felt a hand lean over me. When my seat belt snapped loose, my eyes bulged at the bloodied hand that moved back to Tyler's lap.

The raw, pink skin had numerous shallow cuts that divided up like the way a river splits into many streams. The blood had dried but the region still looked alarmingly gruesome.

After punching the wall, Tyler really shouldn't have used the same fist to break his bathroom mirror.

"You should get that checked out," I murmured; opening the car door and allowing the cold wind to chase away all warmth in his car.

Sheepishly, he gave me a small smile. It failed to conceal the wavering frustration behind his eyes but at least it softened my horror towards his bloodied knuckles.

"I have dinosaur band aids," Tyler chuckled lightly, receiving a flat look that only made his dimples deepen.

Even though my gaze kept flickering to his hand, I bit back a sarcastic response and let out a defeated sigh. Pleased that he was feeling less destructive, I mustered a small smile, giving him credit for his joke. I grabbed my wet clothes and my coat from the back seat, sparing his injured knuckle another glance.

"Don't worry about me, I'll be fine." Tyler assured me in a strong voice.

Scanning his face for any deceit, I eventually grunted and stepped out of the car. Much to my surprise, Tyler unbuckled his seat belt and followed me to my porch. The walk was brief and we both enjoyed the brisk cold that sent crisp leaves scurrying along the sidewalk. I rubbed my bare arms with my free hand, stealing glances at Tyler as the wind sent his hair flapping into his eyes. I quite liked it when he made no attempt to move his hair out of his eyes because it made my fingers itch to do it for him.

Blushing at the thought of being that close to him, I diverted my attention to my bitten fingernails until we reached my door. Tyler look my way and I felt my cheeks blaze again. It was completely dark except for the dim porch light that had a cluster of fireflies attacking the dusty glass and I was glad because that meant Tyler couldn't spot my obvious blush.

Digging into my coat pockets, I fished my keys out and turned to the quiet guy beside me, wondering why he had taken the time to walk me.

I broke the silence, nervously pushing my hair away from my face.

"Ty?"

He turned, snapping out of what seemed like a daydream as he faced me with an open but distracted smile.

"Yeah?"

I could've asked him if he'd be okay for the night. I could've asked him why he decided to walk me to my porch. I could've asked him why he refused to let me in and help him deal with his grief.

I could've asked him any one of the billion questions I had waiting to be answers.

Instead I chickened out and let out an exhausted yawn, irritated with myself for lacking courage to put my thoughts out into the open.

"Thanks for the, umm, ride." I forced out, peering up at him.

Tyler's pupils were dilated, stark against his glowing green iris. Usually there was an equal amount of blue balancing the sea-green in his eyes, but the large, blackness of his pupils left no space for the ocean-blue, leaving just a strip of sea-green.

"No problem." His voice was soft unlike the gaping darkness I was struggling not to fall into.

We stared at each other for another lingering second and I tried my hardest to read into his blank expression. He hopped off the porch and began his way down the curved path, momentarily pausing at the brown picket fence.