Humanities

Along St Kilda Parade there's a park known to residents as the commonwealth park since it was designed more for adults with many different stations of fitness along the walking/bicycle track. It has an area for gymnastics (parallel bars) and long jump as part of the playground equipment. There is a a picnic table and a small a barbecue. In the middle of the park there are information plaques on the commonwealth games. It also had half a basketball court, half a soccer field and half a football field.

Problems:
BARK UNDER PLAYGROUNDS
Really close to the road (rip footballs)
Not enough resting areas
Shade isn't present
Exposed barbecue area

Can be fixed by:
Do the same thing like the soccer goals (have a mesh fence behind it to catch the ball)
Add more picnic tables and benches
Add more trees for shade
Shelter for the barbecue with a tap next to it

A serious problem with most playgrounds at parks is that as the surface underneath is bark. With all playgrounds around the park the surface is bark. This has caused many injuries for children playing on the equipment. What I suggest to improve this problem is maybe instead of the painful bark the surface could be artificial grass. Problems with this suggestion is that it can get damaged pretty badly by people who have no care. If this were the case, the amount of times the council would have to replace it, the money towards everything else would disappear.

Families who come the park and plan to stay for a while, while their children play need a resting area. That is why suggest having more benches or picnic tables. One reason being that you can spend more time by bringing food to the park. This maybe approved since the park could be used more and the cost of the benches and picnic tables would be less of hassle to implement to the park.

Last year at New Years a bunch of teenagers and kids went to the park and they were going to use the barbecue area and I can remember screaming "BRING MORE EXTRA CLEANING STUFF. FOR THE BARBECUE" and I can understand why they would need this. The barbecue area is completely exposed and are left in the worst conditions. How we could improve this area is by adding a small shelter over the top to at least protect it from the weather. This will decrease the amount of germs too. To make this more of a functional space to use we could implement a tap near the barbecue area. Making a shelter would be easy for the council to do because we can use recycled woods.