HUMANITIES CAT REPORT

The two locations along the coastline, Jawbone Sanctuary and Williamstown beach has a lot of features between the two. Natural features towards Jawbone Sanctuary is the basalt rocks scattered everywhere and human features such as the boardwalk leading further into the natural environment. Vegetation at Jawbone would have to be the array of numerous plants, the council there have put plaques up to display the name of the plant and even the Latin name for it. Williamstown had not much vegetation that was natural, it seemed to be cleared out for human features such as the kiosk that was there as well as the retaining wall for the waves in the ocean. Natural features were the sand and trees yet there weren't many flora aspects as there were compared to Jawbone. Williamstown seems to also have more management then Jawbone, the reason because of this would be because it's more of a tourist spot which calls for more care.

At Jawbone some minor changes to the landscape have been made such as the wooden boardwalk with information plaques about the area, bike/walking trials more towards residential homes. But now because of its more park like style people  eating here have left rubbish and the litter ruins the natural environment. Natural problems may include the waves washing up against the sandy rocks causing erosion. They have also implemented fences around certain areas to protect some of the natural vegetation. Williamstown beach has been modified much more than Jawbone has by humans. A huge potential problem I saw was that there was a petroleum refinery very close to the shore line which petrol could be leaked into the water damaging the environment again. Williamstown is more towards tourists and this means more adaptations will be made to the natural landscape, once again because of the tourists and people passing through they have left litter damaging the natural environment. Changes they have made is also implementing a breakwater to reduce the chances of sand deposition. 

Jawbone seems very left out compared to Williamstown. Management strategies to prevent erosion here is to add in breakwaters and/or seawalls. The council has managed some of the area by fencing off certain areas for wildlife protection making sure human contact is off limits for these areas. The have also separated certain plants rom each other that are native and have plaques with their English names as well as Latin names. Walking trails through these more bush-filled areas that are made from just clearing a bit or flora and leaving a solid soil and rock path which leads out to the wooden board walk. The council has put information boards along the walking trials and board walk telling people how to keep the environment safe. What they could have managed more carefully was to move the petroleum refinery further away from the shoreline so in time it does not effect the water from the ocean. Lastly adding more rubbish bins around the area. In total I saw at least one waste bin while we walked along Jawbone Marine Sanctuary.

Williamstown beach had a lot of management. A breakwater has been put in place to help prevent sand deposition because it stops the waves coming in with strong swashes and backwashes. In summer I assume a lot of people come down here and it won't be a very comfortable place to be if everyone is squished because there's no sand thanks to deposition. With the breakwater doing its job, the sand movement is much more reduced then what it would be without the breakwater. What they could do to improve the area is maybe add more rubbish bins as well. The kiosk helps supplies needs but the waste is disposed into the natural environment sometimes. They have also put walkways through the sand to also again reduce sand movement.

To conclude both sites have been managed very well but more so Williamstown Beach because of its popularity over Jawbone Marine Sanctuary. The strategies to help keep balance to the natural environment have been quite useful and have helped us humans still enjoy these areas for what they are.

ta da