Chapter 66

Dedicated to Amelianeive101. 

Sneaking out had been the hard part. Under the watchful eye of Luciano, most people hadn't strayed more than three meters from the remains of their building, and Egil especially had no chance seeing as he was the last of the five Nordic nations. he could only assume that Emil would've had the same sort of treatment had he survived. The thought gave Egil a slight feeling of pride - the last Nordic in the world - although it definitely came with some problems. Oliver hadn't let him out of his sight, and he'd been sat in the same room of the same building on the same burnt turf of land for too long. 

Everyone had.

It was only when Oliver had announced that they'd run out of flour and he had nothing left to make cakes with that their food shortage became clear. Of course, they'd had enough rations for everyone to last a week. Most of 'everyone' had died, so they'd lasted longer than they thought they might, but that didn't meant the food was going to last forever, so when Kuro ate the last stale biscuit, Luciano finally dropped the prison-like appearance on the place and allowed a few to leave.

Only to get supplies though.

As he'd expected, Egil was not one of the lucky few to be let out, but as Allen, Francois, Flavio and Henrique had left, he'd slipped out behind them - an easy thing for him to do - and no one had come after him yet, so he was happy enough to say he was safe.

He'd gone to his country: it seemed the most logical thing to do, and now, he was sat in the middle of a square in Reykjavik, happily eating a pasty. It occurred to him, as he sat there, that everything in the capital seemed to be running slightly too smoothly for a country missing a nation, but maybe that was only because he'd seen some pretty bad countries recently, so this was doing better than them.

Egil shrugged, gave a passer by who was staring at his eye-patch a glare, crumpled up the wrapper from his pasty and tossed it into the nearest bin. He'd gone maybe a few yards from the bench he'd been sitting on when an arm wrapped around his shoulders and he stiffened.

"Well, here's someone I didn't think I'd see for a while" a voice said. "Haven't seen you in a bit Egil, why don't we have a catch up, eh?"

He didn't glance at who it was as they dragged him to the side and down a wide street lined with large bins. There, his head was smashed into a conveniently painful wall. 

"Bastard"

Egil gave a short, weak laugh. "Well, aren't you the hypocrite Leon?" Leon let him go and Egil brought up a hand to run his head. "That was rude."

"So?" Leon snapped, dropping his rucksack to the floor to lean against the wall. "I don't see why I should be polite, or at the least civil to someone like you."

"What've I done?" Egil asked innocently. "I haven't done anything to anger you. Hell, this is the first time I've seen you in person. You just look and sound a lot like Yang Chun. When he was angry that is."

Leon scoffed at the mention of his counterpart. "What've you done? Let's start with the Nordic household shall we?"

Egil looked offended. "That, was not me. That, was Loki."

"What about the puffin?" Leon pointed out. "Then, let's move on to the mirror and Matthias, and finish it off with whatever the hell you did to Emil."

"That also wasn't me" Egil wailed. "That was the others. Mainly Thurston - Bernard just sort of stood back and let him and Markell do the hard work - but that wasn't me."

"You got them in the first place" Leon hissed. 

"Emil had it coming though" Egil shrugged. "I'm just saying."