My Graduation

I sit with my other graduates, robe and cap, waiting for that degree. I'm getting my degree in business administration. My dream is to go to America and become a big business woman over there. Or work for Sarah's dad. Well, my real dream is to sing for a living. Louis's becoming famous gave me a confidence boost, until I came back to reality and realized that was never going to happen. I look behind me. In the very back are five familiar looking guys with hoods, Ray-Bans, and a tub of gummy bears. I am so happy that they came. They call my group up and I walk onto the stage. I get my diploma and I hearing extremely loud cheering from the back when me name is called. I look down and suppress a smile. We through our caps up in the air. Time goes on. It feels like seconds. It finishes and I walk out. Louis comes up and hugs me. "Way to go, sis! Now you're a boring adult!" I punch him. I take off my robes and cap. I feel the silk and smooth it down.

"And you're an arrogant young man stuck between childhood and reality, overwhelmed by the screaming fans and being famous." He pinches me cheek. I slap the top of his head lightly.

"You would be trampled to death if fans saw you do that." Niall says with a fake grave expression. I stick my tongue out at him. All the boys pile into the van except Harry. He walks up to me.

"Aren't you getting in with the boys?"

"Nah. I'm going to look around. What about you?"

"I don't know probably a grad party or something."

"Well I was wondering if you wanted to...like..."

"Dinner? Yes. If that's what you're trying to say."

"Sure. Yeah. I need to talk to you about something important."

"Ok. Sounds great! See you at 7!" I saying trying to suppress a grin. Did Harry Styles just ask me out on a date?! What?! I rush to the bathroom and look at the clock. 6:45. Not enough time. I pull out my makeup and do the best I can. Then I fix my hair. I stare at myself. My hair is fluffy, my eyes are gold, and I'm elated. I look at the clock. 7:00. I rush out in the park. He's standing there. "So where are we going?"

"Over there." He motions toward a restaurant right outside the university. We walk arm in arm to the restaurant. We walk inside and sit down. So this is what a date feels like. We both order.
"Kate. I want to talk to you frankly but kindly." Harry's are dead serious. I push down my anxiety. What was so bad?

"Shoot straight." I regret saying that.

"Well. Don't take it personally. We all really like you. We think you're a great singer and a good sister to Louis and a fun person and a cool girl...but we are not going to be able to see you anymore because...because we're going to the States. We won't be able to see you." He bites his lip. I don't know how to react. I stab the food on my plate. A small tear runs down my cheer. I won't be able to see my brother or my four new incredible friends.

"Well then I'll come with you."

"No. No. You can't."

"Well. Why not?" I'm spitting out words.

"Because."

"Because why?" I want to know.

"It's just the way it is." Now he's spitting out words.

"Harry, tell me." I touch his hand and look him in the eyes. He moved his hand away from me and looks away.

"Because Ms. Adeline and Uncle Si think you're a bad influence. She's a control freak and he's super strict. I'm sorry." He runs his hands through his hair. My eyes tear up.

"What a horrible way to end this day." My voice quivers. I drop my napkin on my food and throw some coins on the table. I get up and leave, not looking back.