7| Confessions & Cover Ups

I run back out to the restaurant. "Lonni we gotta go. Code Sparkle!" I say as I run through the restaurant not bothering to stop.

She soon falls in step with me, "What happened? Who I gotta kill?" She asks from beside me.

"Jax cheated with Harper." I breathed out.

"That bitch!" Lon yells. With that we picked up our pace.

"Hey! I didn't wanna just be left in the restaurant. Talk about awkward." Machai says. I hadn't even noticed he was running effortlessly next to me.

"I'm sorry. My bestfriend needs me everything else kinda got pushed to the back of my mind." I say.

"No worries. I get it. I'll stay in the back and let you do your thing." He says. He's so understanding.

When we finally caught up with Annie she was crying her eyes out on the back deck. This is literally like the best place to cry. It seems like no one is ever back here.

"Okay Ann, when we get back to school you are definitely join the track team." Lonni breathes out.

I smile when I hear Annie chuckle. "Annie. Honey, I'm so sorry." I say kneeling in front of her with Lonni to my left. I see Machai take a seat in the corner to give us a little bit of privacy.

"I can't believe he would do that to me. I thought we were happy together. What did I do wrong?" She asks looking between Lon and I.

"Nothing honey. You did nothing wrong. Jaxon is just an idiot." I say

"And Harper's a whore. She's always trying to get with taken guys." Lonni adds

"But guys only cheat when they are unhappy or their girlfriend wasn't giving them something they wanted so they get it from somewhere else." Annie cries.

"That's not always true."

"But it usually is. So what is it? What am I not doing right? What's wrong with me?" She cries even harder. I am at a loss for words so I just hold her and let her cry into my chest.

"Nothing!" I hear come from behind us. All our heads snap towards Machai. "I'm sorry it's none of my business. I shouldn't have said anything."

"No it's fine." Annie sniffles "Thank you for trying and for being here. I know I don't know you too well but you chose to see if I was okay. It means a lot. Thanks."

"You're welcome. By the way Baye talks about you, I can tell that you're a really cool person. You didn't deserve that, Annabelle. I'm sorry you have to suffer through. It isn't fair. You deserve better." Machai says, his words held so much sincerity.

"Machai's right. I know that's my brother but he fucked up big time!" I say pulling Annie into a hug.

"Let's put bugs in his bed!" Lonni shouts causing us all to laugh. Machai just does that boy chuckle thing where he shakes his head.

"I still love him guys." Annie says.

"We know, baby girl. We know." Lonni says stroking Annie's hair.

"Come on Ann. You need to get some sleep." I say.

"I don't wanna stay in the same room as him."