Chapter 12: A Matter of Choice.

"You cannot control the behavior of others, but you can always choose how you respond to it." 

- Roy T. Bennett. The Light in the Heart.

As night fell, everyone in the settlement departed from their usual firewood celebrations in order to rest. There were more celebrations than there ever was, mainly because it seemed that the settlers had achieved and conquered nearly half of East Africa. It was becoming a routine. Bringing in more villagers, quantities increasing, nightfall celebrations and repeat. The migration of villagers had increased as they were taken to become the settler's slaves and servants.

He felt someone's hands pressing on his mouth indicating for silence. Above him were familiar eyes that held a stern facial expression as the man struck him across the face, instantly causing his consciousness to fade away. He hears murmurs all around him as his consciousness began to slowly return. Each sense, regaining their purpose one after another. He feels a shiver down his spine from the gentle wind as he notices he was surrounded by trees and bushes. He clenched his knuckles to prevent himself from shivering as the gentle wind slowly picked up its pace and became chilly. His wife beater and sleeping trousers could not help him in warmth. The ropes that wrapped around him and kept him intact with a tree made him strain from taking his natural breaths. He blinks to focus his eyes on the person that was standing before him, chuckling at his struggle to comprehend what was happening to him.

"You look awful," said a smirking Mr. Anderson. He could finally get a good look at him and behind him was one of his friends, the same man who made him lose his consciousness in the first place.

"Wha-what is this?" He asked pleadingly. He felt a sharp pain pierce through his cheek as he began tasting the blood in his mouth.

"You don't get to speak unless you been spoken to," Mr. Anderson said then punched him in his stomach. He winced in pain, feeling anger rush through his chest. He repeatedly continued bruising his abdominal area as if he was a punching bag. His head hung low as he tried to recover from the rigorous blows he'd received. But why was he receiving them?

"I need you to tell me about your brother," Mr. Anderson finally spoke as he took a sip of water maintaining a terrifying glare towards him. "Can you do that for me?"

Charles

All morning there had been a bit of discomfort between my brother and I, he has been acting awfully strange. He's usually the one to wake me and joke around and I would get utterly annoyed at his behavior but not this morning. As I tied my boot laces I notice my brother tending to his wounds that I knew nothing about. I pay close attention to him as he continues wrapping a clean bandage in his left hand in silence completely covering his forefingers and leaving his thumb out.

"Roy," I call out to him to get his attention but that failed. "Brother," I jump from my bed as I take a few steps forward and shake my brother from his delusional behavior. He stared at me in shock as if he had forgotten that I was in the tent with him.

"What do you want?!" He yelled as he jolted up. Our noses were just inches apart as I looked into his eyes. They had anger in them but a bit of pain as well.

"What happened to you?" I asked pointing to his wounds. He scoffed and turned to get his jacket from his bed but I pulled him back.

"Brother, you need to mind your business! I don't want to tell you again. I won't." He cautioned me as he grabbed his jacket and exited from the tent he and I shared. I was completely startled at his behavior as I watched him join the rest of the settlers for our usual morning brief meetings about what should happen that day.