Dancing on my Own - Elijah

A/N: There are several versions of this song but the one above is my favorite. So beautiful and sad.

Somebody said you got a new friend
Does she love you better than I can?
There's a big black sky over my town
I know where you're at, I bet she's around

And yeah, I know it's stupid
But I just gotta see it for myself

You had been in love with Elijah Mikaelson for a year. Part of you had dared hope he might feel the same way about you. All the signs seemed to be there, but you were evidently a fool. Klaus argued with you, told you that they'd all thought the same. That Elijah loved you. But how could you believe that? Maybe you just weren't meant to be.

Five minutes around Haley and all of a sudden Elijah had no more time for you. He canceled plans or just simply forgot that you'd made any. You still held onto a thin thread of hope that he was just being overprotective because she was pregnant, because the witches were after her. That was until tonight. Klaus was throwing a party and you stood in the shadows along the wall and watched them dance. Watched them kiss. They only had eyes for each other. 

I'm in the corner, watching you kiss her, oh oh oh
I'm right over here, why can't you see me, oh oh oh
And I'm giving it my all, but I'm not the girl you're taking home, ooh
I keep dancing on my own

I just wanna dance all night
And I'm all messed up, I'm so out of line, yeah
Stilettos and broken bottles
I'm spinning around in circles
And I'm in the corner, watching you kiss her, oh
I'm right over here, why can't you see me, oh
And I'm giving it my all, but I'm not the girl you're taking home, ooh
I keep dancing on my own
And oh no

You found a quiet corner where no one was. It was far away from the noise, from the people. But lucky you, you still had a view to the dance floor. Your chest was tight as your heart shattered into little pieces that you were sure would never be put back together. Hot tears ran down your face. At first you wiped them away, not wanting anyone to see you, but they came back as fast as you removed them. What was the point?

They danced and twirled around the room in their own little bubble, ignoring everyone around them. They laughed, then they smiled, then they kissed. It was a pattern that repeated over and over. You wanted to look away, but you couldn't. It was the end of your world and you had to watch it to the bitter finale. And what hurt more than anything was the fact that Elijah seemed to have just forgotten you even existed. You pressed a hand against your mouth as a sob tore from your throat. 

Klaus's head jerked in your direction as he heard you. His smile fell and you saw moisture flood his eyes. His gaze moved around the room and you knew the moment he spotted them. His jaw set and he looked back to you. You simply shook your head. He couldn't fix this, couldn't make his brother love you.

So far away but still so near
The lights come up, the music dies
But you don't see me standing here
I just came to say goodbye
I'm in the corner, watching you kiss her, oh
And I'm giving it my all, but I'm not the girl you're taking home, ooh
I keep dancing on my own
And oh no
Sit down in the corner, watching you kiss her, oh no
And I'm right over here, why can't you see me, oh no
And I'm giving it my all, but I'm not the girl you're taking home, ooh
I keep dancing on my own

It wasn't long before Klaus announced the end of the party. You rushed up the stairs as the lights came up. Grabbing your backpack, you stuffed it with the essentials. You couldn't stay here. Not anymore. Yes, you were friends with Klaus and Rebekah but you'd come here for him. 

You rushed back down the stairs hearing shouting from another room. "You've destroyed her," Klaus yelled. "Why would you do that to her?"

"I made her no promises," Elijah responded and your already broken heart shattered a little bit more.  "I'll talk to her," you heard him say as you opened the door and stepped into the cold. Klaus retorted, but the door was already closed and you didn't hear the words. It didn't matter. You were already gone.

So far away, but still so near
The lights come up, the music dies
But you don't see me standing here