Happy Birthday - Damon and Everyone else

You sat in a chair on your front porch, your feet propped on the railing in front of you. The book you were reading had sucked you in, but that didn't keep you from glancing up occasionally and surveying the town around you. 

You sipped your lemonade and shifted your position just a bit to get more comfortable. Today was the first day in months there was no supernatural drama to worry about. Well, none you were going to worry about anyway. Your phone was turned off and laying on the kitchen counter. If it was an emergency they'd come find you, you reasoned. You deserved a day off and today was the perfect day for it.

You'd been friends with Jenna and had come to Mystic Falls with her when she suddenly found herself caretaker of two teenagers. She'd been so grateful for your 'sacrifice' but in reality you'd been looking for a change of scenery anyway. Truth was you were a rather powerful witch that was far older than you looked. 

And it was a good thing you'd tagged along. Your intervention with the hybrid had kept your friend alive. He was more than willing to find another vampire for his ritual when you promised to do some work for him. You shook your head as you smiled, remembering Niklaus was rather disgruntled to learn that didn't mean you'd cater to his every whim. Then you'd kept Kol from being killed by Jenna's nephew. 

Somewhere along the way, you'd managed to befriend both sides of the supernatural drama that saturated this little town. You could leave at anytime, and you'd thought about it. But you'd been dreadfully bored before Mystic Falls. At least there was never any shortage of excitement around here.

"There you are, gorgeous," a smooth voice said and you peered over the top of your book. Damon Salvatore leaned against one of the posts on your porch, smirking in your direction. Your heart did its normal dance it did whenever he was around. "I've been calling for hours."

You arched a brow, determined to appear completely unaffected. "Day off, Salvatore. Remember those words coming out of my mouth yesterday?"

"Yes, but what's a day off without a drink at the bar with a few friends?"

You narrowed your eyes. "When you say this do you mean, hey, let's have a drink? Or do you mean, please come help me keep someone from killing Elena?"

He held up his hands in a gesture of innocence you didn't buy at all. "Just a drink, Y/N. Stefan will be there." There was a teasing lilt to his voice as he said the last. 

"I told you before, Damon, I don't like him like that." You and Stefan had gone out on two dates before deciding you were better off as friends. You were both longing for other people whether you wanted to admit that or not. He still wanted Elena while you pined for the elder Salvatore.

You stood with an exaggerated sigh. A drink actually sounded lovely, but he didn't have to know that. "All right. One drink."

He grinned. "Great." His smile slipped as you opened the screen door heading into the house. "Where are you going?"

You glanced down at your outfit. "I'm not wearing this. I don't even have shoes on."

He groaned making you roll your eyes. He was always so dramatic. You stepped inside and slid on a pair of strappy sandals, pulling the strap up over your heel. You grabbed a 3/4 sleeved top and slid it on over your tank top before grabbing your phone and slipping it in your pocket. 

Stepping out of the house, you shut the door behind you. "Was that minute long wait too much for you, Damon? Should I call Stefan of the hero hair to come save you?"

He rolled his eyes. "Very funny, Y/N." You linked your arm with his as you walked. He shifted so his arm was around your shoulders and he tugged you against his side.