Happier - (Dancing on my Own Part II) - Marcel/Elijah

A/N: Lyrics and Music by the lovely Ed Sheeran

It hadn't taken long after you left for Elijah to realize he'd been an asshole of the first order. He'd fancied himself in love with Hayley while you'd disappeared into the background. But then you'd left and his world went silent. Your laughter no longer rang through the halls of the house. Your voice no longer filled the air as you teased his brother or sang to your favorite songs. It was then he'd realized that his body was tuned to you. That even when he thought he wasn't paying attention to you, he noticed everything. And now his life felt rather empty.

Walking down 29th and Park
I saw you in another's arms
Only a month we've been apart
You look happier

Saw you walk inside a bar
He said something to make you laugh
I saw that both your smiles were twice as wide as ours
Yeah, you look happier, you do

Then came the night he walked through the Quarter as he often did and heard that familiar laugh. He was pulled from his bitter contemplation as his eyes searched for you. He smiled as he caught sight of you but it quickly fell as he realized you weren't alone. In fact you were wrapped tightly in none other than Marcel's arms as you walked down the street and into a nearby bar. 

A pang stabbed through him, jealousy mixed with regret. He never should have let you go that night but he'd been too stupid to realize it. He slipped quietly into the bar and took a seat in a secluded corner where he was unlikely to be observed but he could still see you. As he watched you smile at your date, he wanted nothing more than to rush over and pull you into his arms. Klaus might actually kill him if he did that.

Ain't nobody hurt you like I hurt you
But ain't nobody love you like I do
Promise that I will not take it personal, baby
If you're moving on with someone new

Cause baby you look happier, you do
My friends told me one day I'll feel it too
And until then I'll smile to hide the truth
But I know I was happier with you

His family had been furious with him when you left. They all loved you in their own way and they hated him for hurting you. It had taken a few days, but he grew to hate himself too. When he'd told Niklaus of his regret, the hybrid had threatened him with at least an extended daggering if he bothered you. He'd said you deserved better.

Elijah wasn't certain if Marcel was a better choice, but he couldn't deny you looked happier than you'd ever looked with him. As he watched the other vampire smile and tuck a strand of hair behind your ear he wondered if it was because Marcel was so much freer with his feelings than Elijah had ever been. 

Sat in the corner of the room
Everything's reminding me of you
Nursing an empty bottle and telling myself you're happier
Aren't you?

Ain't nobody hurt you like I hurt you
But ain't nobody need you like I do
I know that there's others that deserve you
But my darling, I am still in love with you

Marcel leaned forward, capturing your lips with his. As he pulled back, you lowered your head to lay it on his chest and nuzzled against his neck. The vampire rubbed his hand up and down your back as he kept you pulled tightly against him. Elijah turned his head to look out the window, unable to watch any further. 

Once he'd realized he loved you and didn't want to live without you, he'd stupidly thought it would be a simple task to win you back. He hadn't wanted to admit you might have moved on so quickly. It hurt to see you so content. He tried to tell himself that he was glad you were happy. That he was happy you'd found your place. But part of him wished Marcel would fail you. That he'd move on one day and Elijah could be there to pick you up. His eyes darted back to the two of you and he had to admit it seemed unlikely to happen anytime soon.

But I guess you look happier, you do
My friends told me one day I'll feel it too
I could try to smile to hide the truth
I know I was happier with you

Baby, you look happier, you do
I knew one day you'd fall for someone new
But if he breaks your heart like lovers do
Just know that I'll be waiting here for you

An hour passed before the two of you left your seats to head back out into the New Orleans night. Never once had the two of you stopped touching each other. Marcel pulled you to a stop as you reached the door and cupped your face in his hand. He dipped his head and kissed you slow and sweet. You leaned against his side and he wrapped an arm around you to keep you close. He smiled down at you before turning his attention on the Original still hiding in the corner. 

Elijah clenched his teeth as the other vampire mouthed one word. Mine.