II: A Lot of Girls' Dream

September 7

"He what?" Sachi asked incredulously. I laughed as we walked through the hall of Ouran and toward the front doors.

"I know, it was pretty random. He asked me to write a love story. I guess it's supposed to be about the host club, but he didn't specifically say that." I explained. Sachi sighed dreamily.

"You're so lucky, Kaiyo- to be voluntarily approached by Kyouya-senpai is a lot of girls' dream. I'm just glad the twins are my favorite hosts, because I'd be so mad at you if it were Kyouya!"

"It was odd, though," I recounted, "He knew who I was before he'd even approached me. I guess since we share a Language class, but still, it was weird." Sachi raised an eyebrow, giving me an incredulous grin.

"You're in, Kaiyo," She said declaratively, "Just tell me when the wedding is." I guffawed at even the suggestion.

"It'll be a hot day in Antarctica before Kyouya-senpai marries a commoner," I said, nowhere joking, "And it'll be an exceptionally hot day before he marries one that works for him."

"A girl can dream," Sachi said, and I just shook my head at her.

"This one isn't," I informed her. "I'll leave him for somebody else." We both giggled as we neared the bottom of the staircase, waving as we went our separate ways- her to her limousine, and me walking home.

Sachi was always such an interesting girl- I often marveled that we were as close as we were. Even with us living two completely different lifestyles, we gravitated toward one another on the first day of school. I've made some other friends at Ouran, but Sachi's one of the few who doesn't immediately come off as an uptight, arrogant rich person. No doubt, that was why I was so close with her, but it still made me chuckle every time I thought about it.

And somehow, even as I've tried to befriend the least fake people possible and avoid everyone else, I still wound up in a room full of arrogant rich boys (and Haruhi) being asked to do them a favor. I just hoped that Kyouya wasn't one of those rich people (somehow, I already have the feeling he will be, but I would do my best not to judge).

These were the thoughts that permeated my mind as I walked home in blissful quiet.

*

"Kaiyoka Rei Sahni!" My mother yelled from somewhere. I startled at her raised voice, pulling myself out of my thoughts. I dragged myself away from my notebook, snapping it shut and clicking my pen closed before running out of my room. I found her in the kitchen, looking exasperated.

"Were you writing?" She asked, a little smile on her face. "This is the seventh time I've called you." I grinned sheepishly and nodded, and she reached over and gave me a quick hug.

"Well, you need to practice. I let you off the hook yesterday because of homework, but I know you finished it and you need to take a break from writing." I nodded, telling her that I'd be back after I changed.

I went into my room and swiftly changed from my school outfit (I didn't have an actual Ouran-sanctioned uniform) into my practice clothes. I adorned a loose black t-shirt and grey leggings, with my long hair tightly pulled back in a ponytail. I nodded at my reflection in the mirror before going back out to the living room, where Mom had cleared away all of our things and spread out the mats. I stood across from her, bowing respectfully before sliding into my regular judo stance. I looked up at my mother, who was critiquing my form already.

"Today, we're going to practice kicks," She instructed. "I'll show you one, gently, of course, and you'll repeat it until you get it down." I nodded, and she began with a simple high kick, drilling that until I got it. We moved on to various other types, an hour and a half flying by before she called time.

"You're learning very quickly," She noted, nodding after our last attempt. "You've been a good fighter for a while, but I didn't think you'd get the more complex kicks so quickly." She commented. I smiled dryly as I helped her put the mats away and move the furniture back.

"Thanks, Mom. Nice to know you believe in me," I responded sarcastically. She laughed, tugging on my ponytail jokingly.

"You know what I mean," She said, walking to the kitchen and putting on the kettle for tea. And I did know exactly what she meant. I only started my training in martial arts earlier last year, but I'd come pretty far from being a shaky-legged beginner. I was nowhere close to beating my mom in a match, but it was still nice to know that she thought I was picking things up quickly.

After we calmed down from practice, we sat in the kitchen and talked over tea. We had a good relationship- always have- and I enjoyed just confiding in her sometimes.

"Oh, yeah. Ouran has this thing called a host club, and they want me to write for them." My mother's eyes lit up.

"This is an opportunity for you to make new friends! Do you want to do it?" She asked excitedly. For the longest time, my mom wanted me to branch out and make more close friends besides Sachi. I had a few other friends that I spoke to in class and in passing, but Sachi was the only one whom I talked about at home.

"Yeah, I guess so. I just wanted to make sure it was okay with you. It's basically a club where guys flirt with girls, but it seems to make them happy," I explained. She raised an eyebrow.

"It seems to make which of them happy, the boys or the girls?" She asked, and I laughed at the question.

"An argument could be made for either side." My mother laughed this time, almost spitting out her tea. She recovered soon after, wiping at her eyes for dramatic effect.

"And they want you to write for them?" She asked, and I smiled knowingly.

"I know, it's random. But one of the hosts told me that it'll help them expand the budget, and either way I'll get more writing practice. Maybe one of them can even recommend a place where I can get a writing internship. They are all rich, after all- their connections list just might be endless," I told her. My mother slowly nodded, warming up to the idea. I could see it in her eyes.

"As long as you're happy, safe, and are making new friends, I'm all for it." She said, smiling down at me. I smiled, nodding.

"Thanks, Momma," I said, using the pet-name I used to use as a child. She smiled softly at me, putting my teacup in my hands and waving me off.

"You're welcome. Now I know you're just itching to get back to writing. Hop to it; you don't want to keep your new friends waiting." I thanked her one last time and went back to my room, my brain already switched from martial arts back to writing. My head was churning with ideas as I sat down and took a sip of tea. My pen scrawled across the page with the help of my hand, and I soon got lost in the story I was weaving without even realizing it.