III: The Familiar 'Click'

September 8

"Kaiyoka!" I turned my attention to my immediate left, where Hikaru and Kaoru were approaching me from the back of our math class. I waved in greeting, and they did the same.

"Hikaru, Kaoru. What's up?" I asked, beckoning for them to walk with me to my seat. They both slung an arm around me, Kaoru more gently so.

"The king requests that you come in today," They both informed me nonchalantly, as if I were supposed to know what they were talking about.

"I'm sorry?" I asked, shrugging out of their grip. "I have no idea what you're talking about." Kaoru raised his eyebrow.

"Tamaki-senpai. He wants you to come to the host club after school today," Kaoru added. At the look of slight confusion still on my face, Hikaru added,

"The dramatic blonde one." I smiled in understanding; the name rang a bell, but I continued to forget which one of the hosts was which (to be fair, I'd only met them yesterday).

"Oh, you should have started with that," I chided gently, laughing as I sat down. The twins stood around my desk, conversing with me quietly while other students trickled into the room. I got a few strange looks from some of the girls, which was fair. I'd never spoken to Kaoru or Hikaru in my life, and suddenly I was encroaching on the time they get to spend gawking at them.

"Guys, can I ask you something?" I spoke up. Hikaru nodded, and I continued.

"Do you like being in the host club?" I asked, surprising myself a little. When I asked if I could ask them something, I didn't quite know what would come out of my mouth either. In response, both of them spoke at the same time.

"Yeah. They were our first friends other than each other." My eyes widened in surprise, and I nodded slowly as I processed what they said. The way they're always together, how they literally finish each other's sentences and say things in tandem... It made sense.

"Why do you ask?" They both questioned, staring at me. I shrugged.

"I just wanted to know. I feel like being stared at all the time would get a little... I don't know. Boring? Annoying?" Hikaru laughed.

"You'd think, wouldn't you?" He agreed. "But with someone like Tamaki around..." Kaoru caught the drift and finished his sentence for him.

"Nothing is ever boring. There's never a dull moment." I laughed at their description.

"Fair enough," I conceded, shaking my head and smiling. The twins and I waved as Haruhi caught our attention walking in. She and I weren't exactly friends, as we'd never talked, but we'd always been cordial. There was something about being two regular kids on scholarship surrounded by rich people who couldn't care less about school that gave us that 'watching out for each other' feeling. With the possibility of joining the host club in front of me, maybe Haruhi and I would become true friends.

"Morning," She greeted us with a smile as she sat down, and we returned the greeting. The four of us chatted for another minute before the teacher began class, and Hikaru and Kaoru returned to their seats.

"Don't forget," Kaoru whispered on his way past me. I nodded as I took out a pencil, then faced forward to take in the school day ahead of me.

*

"Princess!-" I cut Tamaki off the second he began to flourish.

"I do have a name, Senpai," I told him, walking into the host club. School seemed to drag on forever that day, but now that it was over, I found myself keeping my promise to the twins. He followed me at my heels, peering at me closely.