XIX: The Doors Await You

February 4

I was happy. I was elated.

I was still on cloud nine from the dance yesterday, I had a great day at school, and now I was sitting in the host club with my notebook in hand, back in comfortable clothing. I thought that absolutely nothing could get in the way of my good mood.

And then Miyuki came in and proved me wrong.

She came in actually sparkling (which made me wonder if she had borrowed some from Tamaki), giggling with her friends and pretending to be casual but scanning the room for Kyouya. Once she found him, she made a beeline for his table, and Kyouya had to put down his computer screen and talk to her because, as much as he'd rather deal with the numbers on his screen, he was a host first and a manager second.

It was painful to watch her flirt with him and sigh and giggle, and even though I didn't have to, I felt protective over him. To me, Miyuki was overstepping her bounds much too far into Kyouya's territory. I didn't usually dislike people I hadn't had a real conversation with, but the air about her that she had at the dance told me a lot that I needed to know. Her behavior wasn't helping her case much, either.

I eventually forced myself to focus on my book and write. I was almost done with another one, but I was having a hard time finishing the endings because I was writing a choose-your-path type. I didn't have a problem asking the other six hosts what they thought the ending should be that would best suit them; even Mori-senpai didn't mind answering. But, since Miyuki was occupying all of Kyouya's time, I decided to go back and edit a little bit more until he was free to talk to me. I couldn't help but hear Miyuki's voice above the others, since she seemed to be getting loud and more audacious with every passing second she was alive.

Every other second, the quiet atmosphere of the club was interrupted with "Kyouya-kun" this, "Kyouya-kun" that. She had her hand on his shoulder, she'd brush her knee against his leg, she'd poke him time and time again. She was trying to flirt, but even to someone who wasn't experiencing it, she just came off as annoying. It became obvious after I looked a little closer that Kyouya was more than ready to snap. He looked calm, as usual, but I'd come to easily recognize the ticks for his anger- he tapped his fingers on the keyboard, the half-smile on his face stretched far too thin, his eyes raved behind his glasses, his words became clipped and standard. He showed no signs of interest or investment. Not able to take it anymore, partially from watching it and partially from uncalled-for jealousy, I got up and approached their table. At my arrival, Kyouya looked up and nodded toward me with a real smile, and Miyuki glared at me with distaste.

"Kyouya-senpai, sorry to interrupt, but do you mind if I steal you for a second? I have a couple of questions to ask you about our books." He nodded, getting up very quickly. I bit back a smile of my own

"Of course, Kaiyoka." He then turned to Miyuki and said, "Excuse me, I have some club business to attend to." He and I walked back to my table, and as soon as we sat down, he said lowly,

"Thank you. I didn't think you'd ever look back over here." I laughed, causing the boy across from me to smile.

"I didn't want to be smothering by watching you two," I admitted, "But yeah. She seems to pluck the wrong chord with you." I said. He scoffed at my analogy.

"Just one wrong chord? She broke the entire instrument," He replied, making me laugh aloud once more. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Miyuki looking over at us in anger, and it made me smile a little wider, though it shouldn't have. I was having way too much fun, honestly.

"You know, she's looking over here," I informed Kyouya as I flipped through my notebook. He nodded, glancing over at her without moving his head.

"Of course she is. She's jealous and wants attention. I've been noticing it before, and in class too. She doesn't seem to like you very much." I agreed, nodding my head vigorously at that.