XXVIII: It's About Time

May 19

I carried through with my plan, though it took serious dedication. I ended up having to wait longer than expected, almost two full months, before my casts were off, injuries cleared, and I was free to do physical work again. I trained in judo hard and got better at it than I likely had been before everything happened.

I rejoined the host club, and I began writing for them again. School became much more enjoyable with my friends as part of it, and it was even better to go into Language and take the seat next to Kyouya's every day. It was kind of bad, admittedly, but I got this giddy sense of satisfaction every time I saw Miyuki get angry that I grabbed 'her' spot. She would always send me threatening looks during class, but I just smiled at her in return. Getting to take her down in a fair fight setting would be payment tenfold, and more than enough to get her to shut her mouth.

I walked happily into the host club after school let out for the day, smiling as I walked freely for the first time in months. I'd been enjoying my freedom all day and Kyouya smiled at me, matching my smile with a small one of his own.

"Enjoying being off crutches?" He asked, smiling as I approached him. I nodded, adjusting my glasses at the same time he did.

"Of course. Not having to make people clear the hallways like it's the Red Sea is an amazing luxury. I don't think I'll ever take walking for granted again.." He laughed quietly, a sound I'd had the honor of hearing more often over these past few months.

"I'm sure it is." He was about to say more, but the entire rest of the club bounded over to us. Tamaki wrapped me up in a bone-crushing hug, and Mori ruffled my hair.

"Princess, you're finally off of crutches! This is just in time for the dance tomorrow!" My eyebrows furrowed of their own accord, and I squirmed out of Tamaki's choke-hold hug to look back at him.

"We're throwing another dance, did I forget to tell you? This one is going to be pretty much the same, but because everyone enjoyed it so much last time, we thought another one was in line," He explained. I turned to Kyouya, one of my eyebrows raised.

"Did you know about this?" I asked him. "Why didn't you tell me?" He shrugged.

"I just found out a few minutes ago, honestly." He held his phone up, which meant that Tamaki had probably just messaged him. "Everyone decided to make it a surprise; Tamaki's already planned everything, so all we have to do is show up and look good, as per usual." I nodded after a moment, another thought popping into my mind.

"This is all fine and dandy, but I don't have a dress to wear. I'm not going to be able to shop, either, because I have to take care of Kasoiya..." I trailed off, but Haruhi put a hand on my shoulder.

"Don't worry about it. Just wear what you wore last time." My eyebrows furrowed once more.

"The same dress? But isn't that.. Am I not supposed to wear something different every time?" I asked, but Kaoru and Hikaru just waved it off.

"Just wear it," They said, and that was that.

"Okay, I guess this has all already been planned, so..."

"All you have to do is show up and look pretty! We've taken care of all the planning," Honey-senpai said, giggling as he spoke up. I nodded, reminding myself to ask Mom to do my makeup tomorrow.

"Alright. Then I guess it's settled!"

*

The next evening, I rolled up to the school, the same apricot lighting shining out of the building and the orchestral music rolling out with it. I smiled at the memories, getting out of my mother's car. Just behind us, Kyouya stepped out of his own limousine, which I was surprised to see was being driven by his own father. Yoshio Ootori himself had driven his son to the dance. I was shocked, so much so that I didn't even process that someone was calling my name until Kyouya was by my side.