-3-

The morning air was freezing as Lillie opened her eyes. She shivered under the covers as she observed white frost on the sliding glass door that led to the balcony.

Snow in Melemele? she thought. That's really unusual.

Lillie silently sat up to find Shiron emitting bursts of Powder Snow as it snored, aimed square at the door. No wonder the room was so cold...but such power for a small little snore from a small little Vulpix.

That must mean Shiron's moves are getting stronger. Maybe it's time she evolved...

Lillie thought to the precious Ice Stone she had hidden in her closet. She wanted to use it when the time was right. She had her doubts, though: she remembered a conservation in class about evolution through stones...

~~Flashback~~

"As you can see," Kukui said, giving a lecture about Pokémon evolution. "Some Pokémon only evolve when they have contact with certain stones, and have a conviction to evolve. These Pokémon may have a special privilege, then, to decide their own future: or make it more difficult to pursue evolution."

Kukui pointed to an infographic on the board. "Some examples of these Pokémon here in Alola are Alolan Vulpix, which evolve into Alolan-Ninetails when given an Ice Stone, and Pikachu, who evolve into Alolan Raichu if given a Thunder Stone in the Alola region."

Pikachu gave a small cry of acknowledgement as a picture of it was up on the board. Ash nodded to the Pokémon on his desk. "I know that feeling very well. Pikachu doesn't want to evolve."

Lillie looked up from her notes with interest. She had never considered the possibility of a Pokémon not wanting to evolve. It didn't really register in her brain...until Ash brought it up.

"Really? Wouldn't Pikachu want to get stronger to maximize it's electric strength?" Sophocles asked.

Ash shook his head. "Not really. I once gave Pikachu the chance when we lost a Gym Battle to a Raichu back in Kanto, and Pikachu was seriously hurt. The Gym Leader and one of my rivals thought that Pikachu needed to evolve to be stronger, but Pikachu didn't want to. We went the very next day and beat the gym, no stone needed." the Kantonian finished. "There was another friend, Dawn, who's Piplup didn't..."

Lillie lost herself in her own thoughts after the story. Did Pikachu not want to evolve to save its pride, or did it think evolution wasn't how it was supposed to end up? Her mind then turned to Shiron.

What if Shiron didn't want to evolve?

She decided to abandon the plan of surprising everyone and Shiron with an Ice Stone for Shiron to evolve, in front of everyone. It was up for Shiron to decide.

~~Back in the present~~

Lillie gave a little sigh to herself. She followed it with a shiver. It was really starting to become cold in the room. "Shiron? Shiron, wake up."

Shiron slowly blinked open its eyes and gave a good morning smile to her Trainer. She then looked around the room and saw the frost everywhere. "Pix?" it said, looking at Lillie curiously.

Lillie shook her head in exasperation. "I'll explain later. But first, let's get you something to eat".

----

Roaaaaaaar!

Explosions rang though the morning air in the remote Poni Island air. A boy squared and his helmet-wearing Pokémon squared off against a mysterious white creature.

"Null, use Crush Claw!" the blonde boy commanded. The Pokémon's claws glowed as it charged at the beast.

The creature gave an eerie cry as Sludge Bombs rained down on the Pokémon. The Pokémon known as "Type: Null" nimbly dodged the attacks as if it had trained for this moment for years...or was made for it.

Null made contact with the creature. It let out a cry of pain before it got sucked back into the portal behind it.

The boy and Null panted with exhaustion. They never expected a beast here. What was going on?

I need to protect Lillie.

----

Hey guys, hope you enjoyed the chapter!