Chapter 10 - Truce

- Thursday, September 21st -

"Ready to go?" I jump in my seat, turning around to find Finnley in the door opening. "I thought I said meet me outside, but since we're both here anyway..."

Sam grins towards me, starting to pack his stuff for the second time today to go home. "I'll see you tomorrow."

"Tell Alex if he wants to talk to someone, I'd be happy to be there for him."

"I will, bet he'll appreciate the offer." Sam smiles thankfully, Finnley frowning in his direction with crossed arm and a hostile attitude. But he keeps his mouth shut.

"Maybe he's willing to get out of the house if we're both taking him out? You know, just some fresh air..."

"Maybe, I'll let you know." Sam nods towards me, helping me to scramble the notes together and putting them in my backpack.

"Ready?" Finnley is still frowning towards Sam, but he's addressing me with his question.

"Yeah, let's go and buy groceries."

"Yay, let's go and pretend to be friends." Finnley holds his hands up in mocking cheerfulness.

"God, love the attitude, really. Not." Sam snorts in response. "Ten points for trying, minus twenty for failing to be funny."

Finnley pulls up an eyebrow, not impressed by Sam at all, casually leaning against the doorpost. Sam passes him, sending me a wink before he really takes off.

"What Alex were you talking about?" Finnley follows me out of the room and through the hallway.

"Moreno." I feign a careless attitude, secretly enjoying the fact I now know more about Alex then he does. At least, I think. Because I don't think Finnley ever saw Alex again after he got dumped for not bringing home enough money.

"Alex Moreno?" Finnley speeded up and starts walking next to me. "You know him? You talk to him?"

"He's Sam's best friend from highschool."

"Is he okay? Did they warn him too?" I wish Finnley would be as worried about me as he seems to be about Alex.

"Now I'm good enough to talk to?" I smirk in his direction, telling him I don't care that he is trying to talk, but that I think it's stupid he only talks to me when he's gaining information.

"Well, you forced yourself upon me. I'm just trying to be nice here."

"Really, Finn?" I laugh softly. "You're not that nice, you know. I honestly hate this side of you."

"Well, deal with it." He shrugs. "I'm not the same guy I was when we were still friends."

"I still think of you as a friend, just... not my best friend anymore." I swallow back the lump that formed as soon as I said those last words. God, it hurts to say it out loud. It hurts to admit out loud that he is no longer my best friend. It's really gut-wrenching and I hate the twisting feeling it caused in my stomach.