Something Brave

//Stampy's POV//

I yawned as I sat down on the end of my bed, stretching my legs out. It was midnight, and everyone was asleep except for Squid and I. 

I glanced over at Sqaishey, who was curled up in bed, looking adorable. I constantly found myself questioning how I could've gotten so lucky to end up with someone as amazing as her? She was so funny, kind, loving...sometimes, I didn't feel like I was enough for her. But, being as kind as she was, she was always reassuring me of how much she loved me and how happy she was. 

I didn't deserve her.

My phone buzzed, and I glanced down at it to see a text from Squid asking me to come downstairs. I sent him a thumbs up emoji and, after a quick glance back at Sqaishey, slipped out of the room.

"Hey," I said in my normal tone as I closed the door of the living room, seeing Squid on the couch. "Everything alright?"

He nodded, motioning for me to sit beside him. "I was just thinking...I know we've got our plans and stuff, but I'm still a little worried with the whole Netty situation. Do you think there's any other way we could get her to leave earlier?" His voice was both absentminded and desperate, as though he wasn't really aware of what he was saying but thought it was important.

I pulled at a unravelling thread on one of the couch cushions as I thought.
"I dunno..." I faded off instantly, biting my lip and ducking my head to hide my expression from Squid.

But Squid was too smart to buy it. He tapped me on the shoulder, and when I looked over I could see that he was frowning. "Stamps, what's going on?"

I sighed. "I – I –" I couldn't get the words out, and I stopped to take a breath and gather my thoughts. Squid waited patiently, concern written across his face.

"I...I've been thinking that I'd like to talk to Netty about...us..." I finally managed to force the words out, and it simultaneously felt as though a weight was both lifted and added. 

Squid was silent, and for a moment I was scared he was going to yell at me. But he just looked at me, sighed, and nodded. 

"Honestly, I don't think that's such a bad idea," he began, speaking slowly, trying to choose the correct words.
"If you think it's what's right, then I'll support you all the way through. You're my best mate, Stampy. I trust you."

I breathed a sigh of relief, but it turned into a quick breath of worry. "I – I want to do it, I want to ask why she did what she did and why she still continues to do it, all these years later...but I'm scared, Squid!" The last few words burst out of my mouth before I even knew what I was saying, and suddenly I felt a tear slip down my cheek. 

Again, Squid was silent, and he let me get myself together as he thought.

"I think it would be good for you if you got some sort of closure, some reasoning," he said after my breathing had returned to normal. "For better or for worse, it's time you got an explanation."

I just nodded, managing a smile. "Thank you, Squid."

He stood up, stretching. "Any time, mate. I'm always here for you. We all are."

I stood up next to him. "Me too, for you," I said earnestly, seriousness in my expression. He nodded, returning my smile. 

"I might head to bed," he said as he backed towards the door.

"I'll go up a bit later," I said, sitting back down. "Need some time to think."

Squid nodded, understanding. He spun around, opening the door, a quiet settling across the room once more...

"Stamps, it's okay to be scared." His voice was gentle and soft, and startled me slightly. I just looked at him, slightly confused. He sighed, a weak smile on his lips.

"Being scared...it just means you're about to do something really, really, brave."

And then he left.

//AN//

Hey, sorry for this short chapter! However with my school holidays starting and me having 2 months of free time on my hands, hopefully I can make my updates more frequent.

This chapter was inspired off of a quote I saw (the one at the end of the chapter) which I thought was really inspiring and important, so I decided to include it.

I hoped you enjoyed this chapter! I'll be updating ASAP.

- magicanimal_books xo