forty-five

the sun had set and we were both sitting on the back porch where there was a hanging chair  that was swinging from the light breeze, i was in the hanging chair where ethan was slouching on the outside sofa, we were both just humming to john mayer.

"heartbreak warfare," i sing to myself.

"your voice is still beautiful blue, i can hear you, please keep singing," ethan requests.

"my voice isn't even that lovely, why do you like it so much," i'm still facing the stream from the chair.

"it makes me feel whole, like you're showing me the light. as cheesy as it is, you make me feel all warm inside when you sing," he adds.

ethan stands up and begins to walk towards me, "larissa, i've been meaning to give something to you."

"you're using my actual name this must be serious," i explain.

he hands me this white box, reasonably large and tells me,"happy birthday."

"i did tell you i got you a birthday gift when it was your birthday a while ago," he continues.

i open it with caution, i open it to four things; a letter, a photo, a smaller box and something wrapped in black tissue paper.

"ethan you didn-"

"i wanted to."

"how did you keep this at my house?" i question.

"annabeth helped me."

i look at the photo it was us when we met. i slowly open the box, its a ring. no not an engagement ring. a promise ring.

"i promise to keep you happy," ethan consoles.

he lifts it up and places it on my finger, adjusting it slighty. 

"its so pretty e, i love it."

i want to leave the letter until last so i begin to open the tissue paper.

"woah wait, open that and the letter when you like and no its not anything like that, well it is, kinda. just wait to read the letter, its important," he adds.

i lay the box aside and i move over to make room for ethan, he sits there and i lie in between his legs and he covers me with his arms. i feel so safe i can't be hurt. this is how it should be.