Six

Six

It was too early for Evy to get up from bed, and too late to do anything productive with her day. It was one of those times where you want to do something but nothing was appealing.

A shit boring situation.

Issy was off at gymnastics class and conversing with any other Harvey child was immediately erased off the possible list.

Evy didn’t move from her comfortable bed for twenty minutes, battling with what to do. Once again, a contradiction ruled her thoughts. She wanted to do something to clear her thoughts, something that would tire her out and mentally exhaust her, but she was too lazy, and already fatigued by last nights run-in with Malakaih.

Malakaih. The bearer of her thoughts, and the key to her locked up, refusing will.

Sighing, Evy pulled the covers away from her lingerie clad body. She didn’t feel conscious about the fact that Malakaih may just be looking in her window for the fact that she fully closed her blinds and pulled in her drapes.

Quickly pulling on a tank and shorts, slipping on moccasins in the process, Evy pulled up her hair into a messy bun as she trudged down the stairs into the kitchen. Her mother was sitting there watching dances on her tablet, drinking coffee.

“Morning hun,” her mother acknowledged.

“Hey ma,” she responded. Food was in order, especially strawberries, strawberries was her guilty pleasure.

“What’s wrong?” Her mom set the coffee cup and tablet down, her focus solely on her daughter, eyes knowing and alert.

Evy never kept anything from her mother, and the fact that she’d been hiding her reveal of Malakaih and everything made her on edge and itching to spew it all out.

“It’s just… been rough.” Evy’s shoulders slumped. She wanted, so, so bad to tell her about everything. But when the Alpha female felt like someone was struggling or hurt, she went out of her way to fix it, and when it had something to do with the Alpha’s daughter, he was involved too.

“It’s more than that, I can tell.”

Dammit, her mother and her instincts.

“I’m fine ma. My mind just needs to sort it out.”

Now her mom was in full protective ‘I’ll help you and rip anybodies throat out’ mode.

Sighing, Evy slouched in the chair next to her mom, her bowl of delectable strawberries resting on her flat stomach.

“I-I” How could she tell her mother that not only did a wolf from another pack trespassed, but also turned out to be the Alpha of said pack and her mate?

“Come on,” her mother urged. “You can tell me.”

Her smile was so kind, so motherly, and Evy couldn’t help but tell her.

So over a mouth full of strawberries, Evy confessed.

“IwasrunningonenightandawolftrespassedbutwhenImethimheturnedouttobemymateandItoldhimtoleaveandhedidbutheaskeddadforpermissionandgotacceptedandIsawhimlastnightafterthemovie.”

The breath Evy took was long and full, while her mom didn’t breath at all. Her coffee mug was midair, about to be drunk from.

“Can you...repeat that for me Evy?”

“I’d rather not,” she said meekly.

“Evelyn.”

Flinching, her hackles-and shoulders- rose in defense. “I was running one night and found a wolf trespassing. When I met him I found out he was my mate. I told him to leave and he did but he asked dad for permission and now I get dragged between two cars last night where he almost, almost convinced me into complying for him. I left before he could do anything.”