Chapter Eighteen

That evening, I sat on the couch with Britt while we waited on Avery to return from her orientation for her internship. Reagan had come through the door an hour after we had left, so she was here when we came back from our little escapade, and to be honest I really enjoyed it. I never really got to hang out one on one with Britt; first, I usually didn't have any interest in partaking in her "activities" and second, we usually hung out as a group. But my face felt tingly and glowing, my hands felt soft and pampered and for once I actually felt like a normal girl, going out with my best friend for manicures and spa days.

Britt had her hair up in curlers and was reading a fashion magazine while I let my hair air dry down my back. Tiny droplets were dripping onto the leather and it probably wasn't a good thing, but I didn't care. An old episode of Ridiculousness was on and we weren't saying anything, but it was nice.

Reagan said that she didn't want to go out tonight when we asked her where we should go, and Britt seemed really bothered by it though she was trying to keep a good mood. I was a little bothered, too; she met that Zach guy or whoever at Disneyland and I was glad for her, but I really hoped she didn't start ditching us for him. I mean, she barely knows him. I'm just worried.

Or maybe I'm just a horrible friend.

I felt like that a lot lately. A horrible friend, a horrible person, a horrible... whatever I am to Calum. Was to Calum. He hated me and I was too stupid to realize it.

But I was still so confused as to why he wanted to spend time with me when all along he thought I was a whore or whatever. He was kind of rude, yes, at first. But he didn't seem like the kind of person to lead someone on just for revenge.

The whole time I've been sitting on this couch and thinking about how... lonely I am. I have my friends, but they have their lives. The only other friends I have are Ashton, Luke, and Michael. Who knows, though, maybe they hate me, too. The whole month I've been in California and I haven't changed one thing about my life; I'm still sitting on the couch, waiting for something miraculous to happen. Waiting, and waiting, and waiting.

That's mainly why I've agreed to go out tonight. Britt says it'd be good for me to get out of the house; I say it'd be good for me to get shit-faced and forget about everything. I've never been one to binge drink but maybe I should. Maybe it's one of the changes I should make.

I heard the front door open and Avery walked in, jingling Britt's keys and smiling. She looked really professional in her black pencil skirt and rose colored blouse. Her bright red hair was curled to one side and she didn't have a lot of makeup on but she looked pretty.

"I hope you're not wearing that tonight." Britt teased.

Avery rolled her eyes and plopped down on the couch beside me, before making an "eek" noise and hopping up, clutching her butt.

"Damn it, Savvy, I sat in your hair puddle. Put that hot mess up in a bun or something." She flicked me in the forehead.

Neither of us said anything and Ave looked between the two of us before sighing. "You're depressing me. Stop acting like your life sucks. You're in California. Now come on, get ready."

I went to my room, carrying the shopping bag Britt had chucked at me earlier and shut the door. My hair was still damp and drying in loose waves down my shoulders. I picked up a chunk of it and just held it in front of my face. My hair had lightened considerably from the dull mousy brown it had been before the move and now it was streaked with sun-soaked highlights.

I dug through the ridiculous amounts of tissue paper in the bag to find the dress that Britt had bought for me. The black fabric was designed in a twenties-era style, with fringe accents and lace and ornate gold beading along the neckline. It was short, and form fitting, and I wondered just how well this thing would look on my lanky frame.