Afraid

We finished eating while chatting of frivolous things, and then I was forced to play the piano.

"Show her your cool side!" My father poked fun at me.

Reluctantly, I walked to the piano. I couldn't betray Rosalinda's expectations. I kept thinking, but the only tune that came to my mind was "Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence" I usually played the accompaniment version, but that time I took out the score for the piano solo and played that one instead.

I wasn't prepared so it wasn't really satisfying, but it still was a nice performance. My whole family clapped their hands like idiots. Rosalinda joined them and smiled. It was a strange vision. Rosalinda smiling between the members of my family.

Rosalinda announced she was going home since she was still in time for the last bus. The bus was enough to take her to the nearest station to her house so I walked her to the stop. We arrived early, with still 15 minutes to wait. Our breathes were turning white and the coldness made me feel that it would soon be Christmas again.

"Thank you for today.. Sorry for suddenly imposing like that" Rosalinda muttered.

"Don't worry, my family seemed overjoyed.. I also had fun." I honestly expressed my feelings. My family is always lively, but that day it felt like a festival.

"William..." She suddenly called my name and stared at me with a serious look. That gaze quickly filled with tears.

"Rosalinda?" Clinging on my arm, Rosalinda silently cried. My suspect was that she might have broken up with her long-time boyfriend. Lately he didn't show up at school to pick her up so.. I was probably right. I didn't know how to soothe her pain; all I could do was to pat her back. We stayed like that until the bus arrived.

"Sorry and thank you. See you tomorrow at school." She got on the bus and tears were still in her eyes.

That was the only time she visited my home. My family was disappointed as they all believed she was my girlfriend.

"That's why I'm not popular..." I felt bad for betraying their expectations, but I couldn't tell myself if and when I'd be able to get a girlfriend.

I wanted to confess my feelings to Rosalinda, but it felt it wasn't the right moment yet. Moreover I was terrified at the idea of playing alone with her in case I was rejected. The truth was.. I was afraid of getting hurt.