The Beginning of the Past

Spring of my 16 years old; first year of high school. All my classmates were unfamiliar faces. My friends from junior high mostly enrolled in a different school. Those that were in the same school as me ended up in different classes.

Honestly, I was troubled on how I would make friends since I was very shy. My junior high friends and I knew each other from childhood, so I didn't have to put any effort as we all were like siblings. The number of students attending that school was so low that we were one big group. And then, all of a sudden I was surrounded by strangers. I acted normal on the surface, but I had a feeling I wouldn't be able to adapt in the class.

I didn't need club activities, but I joined the brass band thinking it would expand my relationships. Also because I was part of the same club in junior high. I like instruments that give the rhythm with their low sounds, so I chose the tuba. I secretly practiced in the basement of my house but I didn't know my potential. Of course I didn't own one as it was big and expensive. So I borrowed on from the school. I couldn't get accustomed to the school, but I could in handling the instrument. Even if I was just a first year, I practiced by myself without depending on my seniors.

There was a small girl practicing her euphonium at my side letting out quiet sounds. The tuba and the euphonium often practiced together, but this was the first time we were sitting next to each other. I couldn't remember her name. I knew she was a first year even if she wasn't in my class. But I couldn't remember the names of all the club members. My tuba was considerably big, but even that euphonium held by a barely 150cm tall girl looked big. Lung capacity is needed, so when doing a long breath the face turns red. Knowing it, I looked at her face that showed those signs.

"Chandler" Probably noticing my glances, she spoke and stared back at me.

"What? Actually, I hate being called by my surname" For once that she talked to me, I replied like that. The truth is that I hate how pompous my surname sounds. My first name is William.. I quite dislike being called by both. Combing them together, I sound like a rich kid, but my family is a very normal one. My father is an office worker and, living together with my grandparents, our house is located quite in the countryside.

"Then how should I call you?" She asked me perplexed.

"I would rather be called by my name." I distanced myself from the instrument and took a short break.

As there are few people in charge of the bass, I practiced alone every day. I was confused as I didn't expect to practice alone with her.

I didn't realize that I was completely enchanted by her. Brown eyes, long beautiful hair. Her posture made me think she learned ballet or something similar, as her back was straightened even if she was holding a heavy instrument. Slender limbs, her white legs stretching out from her skirt.. my heart was beating fast.

"Name...? Your first name?"

I can't even remember your surname...

Thinking that, I told her my name.

"William? It's a beautiful name!" She giggled.

I was honestly surprised as only my family ever told me that my name was beautiful.

"And you? What about your name?" As I couldn't remember her surname I addressed her like that but she didn't seem bothered by it.

"Me? My name is Rosalinda. Gives a modern feeling don't you think?"

"I see..." This is how I knew her first name before her surname.

Outside of joint practice, Rosalinda and I often practiced together in a small room used by the first year students. After the contest and the joint concert, only the club Christmas concert was left and we all could take it easy from there.