Tears of Joy

The nights of the weekdays depressed me.. yet, since he started coming over I have fun spending time alone with him when my parents weren't around. He would sometime eat with me when I was alone for dinner. I was happy of that time spent chatting.

Being the son of an acquaintance, my parents had absolute trust in him. Truthfully there was nothing like a relationship of a man and a woman between us.. I was just a kid so he easily tutored me in my room. Thanks to him, my grades improved so fast I was able to aim a top high school by winter. My parents were extremely happy as I entered the top five in my class for English and Math.

"Rosalinda, you're quick-witted. Maybe your teachers are just bad at explaining?" Ryan smiled as I showed him the results of the tests of the second semester.

"It's because Ryan is good at teaching."

"No, I only taught you common questions. I'm not even a qualified teacher... You always had it inside of you, Rosalinda. Good work." He patted my head with his big warm hand.

He was treating me like a kid, but his gestures strangely felt comfortable.

"It's really thanks to you Ryan." I muttered embarrassed, honestly happy for being praised.

The joy of being praised by the man I respected and loved. Until that moment, my parents only got angry at me for anything I did. I started to feel that I wasn't a hopeless person... That's why I was happy of Ryan's praise more than needed.

I like Ryan...

It didn't take much time to realize my feelings. I didn't know how he felt for me, but I was completely in love with him... Even if I could control my feelings, I was desperate.

If only I were older...

If only I were at least a high school student...

Maybe I could have used some appeal as a 'woman'. But at the time I didn't know how to do it. Still I wanted memories with him. I desired that for six months, since he started tutoring me.

"Ryan... There's something I'd like to ask you..." Something I planned to say if my grades improved. One day I boldly spoke up.

"What?"

"I want to spend Christmas Eve together."

Maybe he had a girlfriend.

Maybe he would refuse because I'm a kid.

I thought of many things he could say to the junior high me.

But he soon replied 'Sure' and didn't look annoyed by it.

"But first we need your parent's approval. If they agree, let's go for a drive somewhere."

"Okay!" I was so happy.

Without noticing, I started to cry in front of him.

"Rosalinda... are you crying?"

"Yes... because I'm happy."

While he was patting my head, I wanted to jump in his arms. Warm tears kept flowing from my eyes.