Chap. 3 - Music College

Just having her smile was enough.

This for the next Christmas party we played "Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence" again. That song became our Christmas routine. Our performance had been a great success so we announced it the following year as well.

I couldn't bring a piano so I brought a keyboard I had at home instead. As usual the low tone instruments weren't popular so Rosalinda and I were always alone. We actually wanted two tubas but since the seniors graduated, I was the only one left even during my third year.

If it went on like that, after my graduation they would have needed to ask help to a tuba player from outside the school. We don't need to participate as third year students, but Rosalinda and I decided that we would do it until the end. We rarely joined the other sessions, but still practiced from time to time for the Christmas party.

Our future was still vague, but we both already decided our goals to attend university and college. I aimed a music college, fully aware it'd be had to find employment. Once decided on it, I started taking tuba lessons to specialize on it. Music was the only thing I felt no one could beat me to. My studies weren't bad but I couldn't bring myself to wish to study economics or similar subjects. I knew it was a choice that didn't seriously considered the future, but I wanted to test my strength as much as possible.

Rosalinda wanted to apply for a nearby vocational college. Her plan was to study the least required and then look for a job.

"If you go to a music college we'll be far apart..." Rosalinda sounded lonely while saying that.

I couldn't tell if she was lonely as a friend, or maybe as something more.

"Really? It's not that far.." I didn't know what I would say if I expressed my real feelings, so I dodged the conversation.

I was supposed to be the one who felt the loneliest about parting with her. The university I was aiming was in Los Angeles, California. Of course, it's considerably far from San Diego. And of course we wouldn't meet much anymore since we weren't in a relationship.